Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flreefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Not too much, but i think it might fit in my tank (66 gallon) and that they are kida picky..so make sure they can eat frozen. Thats about all i know! Lol
Hey Grant, I've got one in an 8 year established 180, and the only way I would do it is if he'll eat frozen foods. Ive had him about 8 months, and he desimated my pods. Even though he ate miysis from the LFS, he still prefers pods.
__________________

__________________
Flreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flreefer

Hey Grant, I've got one in an 8 year established 180, and the only way I would do it is if he'll eat frozen foods. Ive had him about 8 months, and he desimated my pods. Even though he ate miysis from the LFS, he still prefers pods.
Ha really? He definitly sounds worth it though!! Would it be too big for my reef?
__________________

__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
armyman16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Ha really? He definitly sounds worth it though!! Would it be too big for my reef?
Not from what I have read, he would be a good fit, but I have never owned own or had much experience but Flreefer might have better advice on experience,
An yeah he is very fat! Great coloring too! Dropped him in the left side of the tank where I have seen the most pods, swam to the middle and I tried to take a pic then he swam to the far right where there is alot of rockwork so I can't even see him now! ):
__________________
armyman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
armyman16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 608
Hey Flreefer, when should I throw some frozen brine in for him?
And should I soak it in garlic to get him to like it?
__________________
armyman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flreefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Ha really? He definitly sounds worth it though!! Would it be too big for my reef?
It would probably be alright in a 66, but I wouldn't want to go any smaller than that. Just absolutely make sure it eats frozen!! And they need established live rock, to forage. I wouldn't go any less than a year old tank. Also, best size would be between3-4".
Like a Mandarin, known for just dropping dead all of a sudden. I consider myself lucky so far, but I only have 3 other fish. 5" yellow tang, 5" Kole, and a 4+" Gold-band Maroon, in a 180, so lots of room for it to be comfy. And it is about 4+".They like to be pampered, in a reef setting.

Attachment 100107

Here's a pic of the group!
Thinking about a Hippo Tang next...
__________________
Flreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #46
Fish R friends, not food!
 
spoonman's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 3,720
Isnt that a copperbanded butterfly?
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
armyman16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flreefer

It would probably be alright in a 66, but I wouldn't want to go any smaller than that. Just absolutely make sure it eats frozen!! And they need established live rock, to forage. I wouldn't go any less than a year old tank. Also, best size would be between3-4".
Like a Mandarin, known for just dropping dead all of a sudden. I consider myself lucky so far, but I only have 3 other fish. 5" yellow tang, 5" Kole, and a 4+" Gold-band Maroon, in a 180, so lots of room for it to be comfy. And it is about 4+".They like to be pampered, in a reef setting.

Here's a pic of the group!
Thinking about a Hippo Tang next...
Hippo tang would look great! definitely from for more fish!
__________________
armyman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flreefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyman16
Hey Flreefer, when should I throw some frozen brine in for him?
And should I soak it in garlic to get him to like it?
I would throw some in as soon as he seems somewhat settled in, couple hours or so.
Garlic is mainly an immune system booster, not a bad idea, but if he's not used to it, it could be counter-productive right now. I'd see if he eats what he's used to first, then in a couple days, if hes been eating, start soaking in garlic.
__________________
Flreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flreefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman
Isnt that a copperbanded butterfly?
Yup, Gboy was asking about them cause Armyman was considering one before the Mandarin.
__________________
Flreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
armyman16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 608
Well I fed him but not sure of he ate! I can't find him! Alot of brine went back into the rocks where he is but I couldn't see him
__________________

__________________
armyman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, stock, stock list

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.