Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd just try again tomorrow, preferably when he's out and about.
Best of luck with him Army!

Old 06-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks, I hope he lives as good as your copper banded does!

Old 06-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Don't wanna make a new thread about this one question so what does chaetomorpha die off look like? I mean how can I tell?
My nitrates were under 10 last week, but this morning they were 40, before I added the mandarin! All I have are 6 hermits, 6 snails and some Chaeto algae in the refugium! What could have caused this to go up?
Old 06-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyman16
Don't wanna make a new thread about this one question so what does chaetomorpha die off look like? I mean how can I tell?
My nitrates were under 10 last week, but this morning they were 40, before I added the mandarin! All I have are 6 hermits, 6 snails and some Chaeto algae in the refugium! What could have caused this to go up?
Usually, it will turn to mush.
That sounds like a lot of trates in a week! I would check it twice, if you didn't already.
If that's all you have in the tank, and your barely feeding the crabs, it shouldn't go up like that.
Only thing I can think of with the Chaeto, is if it's a big mass, light may not be getting to it all. Try to spread it out a little. A lot of people try to have it tumble in their fuge, so that light gets to all of it.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flreefer

Usually, it will turn to mush.
That sounds like a lot of trates in a week! I would check it twice, if you didn't already.
If that's all you have in the tank, and your barely feeding the crabs, it shouldn't go up like that.
Only thing I can think of with the Chaeto, is if it's a big mass, light may not be getting to it all. Try to spread it out a little. A lot of people try to have it tumble in their fuge, so that light gets to all of it.
Yeah I know! Well one of my lfs got 40 and i Don't know how old there's is, mine is 2 years old an I got 20-40 ppm, took it to a different lfs and they said there was little to none
I don't even feed the crabs, they scavenge, I flip it over every night and I spread it out differently too
Going to do a 15 gallon water change anyways, just in case, can't hurt
Old 06-13-2012, 10:28 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, I don't see any way you could be at 40, unless like all the crabs died!
I'd just do your PWC, and get a reliable test kit, when you can.
Good luck with your Mandarin! They are really cool fish. Congrats!
Old 06-13-2012, 10:50 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Yeah, I don't see any way you could be at 40, unless like all the crabs died!
I'd just do your PWC, and get a reliable test kit, when you can.
Good luck with your Mandarin! They are really cool fish. Congrats!
Yeah I don't know where it came from, but I'm gonna do a PWC so that I can give my mandarin the best chances! The guy at my lfs also said my pH and calcium were low too? Will a PWC help fix this?
Old 06-13-2012, 11:32 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

Second time I have to type this....Aaargghh!! Timed out on me!!
Yes a PWC will help both parameters, but I wouldn't worry too much about your Ca level without any corals.
Ph can also be raised by pointing a power head towards the surface of the water, to help with gas exchange, it agitates the water. Ph can also be raised by opening up your house, the fresh air can help with your ph too.
I would try the power head thing, before using any chemical buffers, although these do work. I used to use Seachem's Reef Buffer.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #59
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Second time I have to type this....Aaargghh!! Timed out on me!!
Yes a PWC will help both parameters, but I wouldn't worry too much about your Ca level without any corals.
Ph can also be raised by pointing a power head towards the surface of the water, to help with gas exchange, it agitates the water. Ph can also be raised by opening up your house, the fresh air can help with your ph too.
I would try the power head thing, before using any chemical buffers, although these do work. I used to use Seachem's Reef Buffer.
Haha I do actually have 3 frags I bought yesterday, 2 GSP's and one cauliflower colt..
I have a powerhead agitating water pretty good,here's a pic

Attachment 100160

Should I aim it up some more an move it down?
When I had it aimed up where it is now, it kept creating a whirlpool thing that made the powerhead make alot of noise..
Old 06-14-2012, 12:06 AM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I would lower it and aim it up, although its agitating the surface pretty well already. You just want some ripple action, not bubbles. This will also silence it.
Sorry didn't know you had some corals, but being Softies, they don't really demand much if any Ca.
Frequent (weekly) pwc's should get your Ca levels up. If it still remains low, I would look into the BRS 2-part system ( Ca, Alk, Mag.). I know that's 3, but it's called 2- part!

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, stock, stock list

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com