Stock list - working out the kinks...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreamerTheresa

Aquarium Advice Regular
...WAY before hand!

My male accomplice and I don't anticipate getting our first fish until Christmas or so. We're still working on getting the salinity level in the tank correct (still a tad high), and tonight we're ordering rock.

So we've gone through and picked out a few fish we think we might like to have. Our tank is 135 gallons.

blue flasher fairy wrasse(s)
flame angel fish
green chromis damel(s)
royal gramma
false ocellaris clown(s)
tang (not sure if we want a purple, blue, or yellow one yet.)
some kind of butterfly/flies

I've read that wrasses and damsels can be rather agressive, but from what I've read of the blue flasher fairy wrasse and the green chromis damsel, they seem to be kind of the exception to their respective genus.

Not sure about the butterfly fish yet, as in the future, we think we might want to have corals, and we can't have the butterflies eating the corals.

Comments or suggestions on this list? Just want to make sure we don't get more fish than the tank can support, though again, we've got a while to really start worrying about that.

Can't be too prepared. :)

Thanks for any help!

For a 135 it looks good. If you`re going to go corals later you might want to skip the angel also. I`ve had to get rid of a couple of them because they turned into munchers.

How many of those green chromis and wrasses do you think the tank can handle with the rest of the fish?

I was thinking about getting 5 of those, as they're a schooling fish, and 3 of the blue flasher fairy wrasses.

Thanks for the help!

The chromis do better in an odd number. The wrasses tend to be jumpers, so make sure you have a tight lid or, eggcrate. That list looks great! Since you are in no hurry, you might be able to save BIG bucks by mixing base rock with LR.....

roka64 said:
The chromis do better in an odd number. The wrasses tend to be jumpers, so make sure you have a tight lid or, eggcrate. That list looks great! Since you are in no hurry, you might be able to save BIG bucks by mixing base rock with LR.....

That's the plan. :)
There's a guy on ebay who sells base rock for not-too-expensive.

We can't find anywhere locally that carries base rock; and locally, the LR is uber expensive, so that's getting ordered online, too.

Bring out the zip ties and epoxy!

Dont know about the wrasses but 5 or 7 would be a good no. for the chromis.

melosu58 said:
Dont know about the wrasses but 5 or 7 would be a good no. for the chromis.

Thanks about the chromis!

marinedepotlive.com says this about the blue fairy wrasse:

A very colorful addition to a reef or peaceful fish only system, the Blue Flasher Fairy Wrasse needs a tank with a sandbed as this is where it hides when frightened and burrows for sleep at night. An excellent substitute for harder to keep Anthias, Blue Flasher Fairy Wrasses are happiest in schools and are a bright addition to any peaceful system. Will school with chromis and other schooling fish. The males will flash their beautiful fins as they attract females. Best kept with one male and 3 or more females.

DreamerTheresa said:
Blue Flasher Fairy Wrasses are happiest in schools and are a bright addition to any peaceful system. Will school with chromis and other schooling fish. The males will flash their beautiful fins as they attract females. Best kept with one male and 3 or more females.
Hmm, they sound very interesting! Sounds like they are "womanizers" LOL! I hope that didn't offend!
I got this from liveaquaria.com:
"The females should be introduced into the tank first. It is often harassed by other fish so the Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse should be the first species introduced into the aquarium. It is best to keep it with peaceful tank mates."
With this in mind, I would possibly rethink my stocking list, especially if you add two species that like to school and do better in numbers....

Back
Top Bottom