Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-05-2015, 11:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Stock my 30 gallon reef Nano cube!

This tank is two years old and has been through a lot. From ich, velvet, and sea cucumbers we have seen a lot. Well my last fish died a bit ago and I'm ready to start a new legacy. I currently have a fire shrimp, a few hermits, one nassarius snail, and two snails (turbo and astrea). I also have one pulsating xenia. This tank has a bit if an algae problem and I'm working on it but I want to hear what you would put in it. How you would make it pretty. So I'm open to anything as long as I can keep it in my tank (no lionfish or making it a fowlr). So please please comment! I'll tell you by desicion! I'm down for one fish and a bunch of coral or vice versa. 😀😀 Thanks for your comments!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 04-05-2015, 11:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I usually like to stock my SW with smaller fish, though in actuality I've only ever had a nano. Anyway, I would go with a wrasse of some sort. I prefer a 6 line as they are colorful and quite active but with a tank as large as yours, you could really get one larger then that species. Live aquaria should be helpful with that idea I think

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:02 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I know many fish I could put in there, but I want other people's inputs

Old 04-06-2015, 06:21 PM   #4
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

as for coral it all depends on what kind of lighting you have ,
for fish maybe a few of these remember in a 30g you only have so much room for fish 5 or 6 fish that stay rather small tops
clown , 6 line wrasse , pajama cardinal , fire fish (goby) , sand sifting goby , avoid a basslet , or royal grammar if you get a wrasse , avoid damsels all together they are just little demons
Old 04-06-2015, 11:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have white LEDS. I know what fish I can put it in there. I am looking for a specific stocking with specific inhabits (i.e. 1 ocellaris clownfish, 1 firefish, 2 green chromis and carpet anemone and blastomussa) I care more for fish in there, but I always like coral suggestions. I want a specific tank thats all
Old 04-07-2015, 10:45 AM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Well, what you are describing are lighting that won't support anything photosynthetic, to include anemone.
But when it comes to stocking, you'll want to stick with nano fish. It will all vary on what you are looking for in the tank for any type of recommendations. I think every tank should have a clown pair in it if it is above 30. You could easily get away with a chalk bass, a watchman goby, and another fish, like the firefish you described earlier.
That said, you will want to go VERY slowly with adding the fish back into the system as the bacteria base will be very low with the tank only having inverts remaining in it.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm ok with changing the lights. Would this be ok
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...3&pcatid=29413

Old 04-07-2015, 12:30 PM   #8
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

OK for what? There is a great amount of difference between simply lighting the tank and the intense lighting needed for anemone and sps corals.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
OK for what? There is a great amount of difference between simply lighting the tank and the intense lighting needed for anemone and sps corals.
well considering you told them that they need more light for corals and anemones, I'm going to assume they mean would it be OK for coral/anemones.

The light in question, assuming the OP's tank would use the 30" model, provides 48 watts/ 10,000 K white/420nm blue via 2 T5HO bulbs.
so a pretty standard HO T5.

so sniper, do you think that light would suffice?

FrightyDog, it would help if you stated the tank dimensions, especially how deep it is.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Stock my 30 gallon reef Nano cube!

A 2 bulb t5 isn't going to be enough for nems, I'd want a 6 bulb unit minimum depending on tank height.

And it's hard to pick a stock list for someone else's tank, we don't know what kind of fish or corals your interested in. But I think a pair of occys, a possum wrasse (yellow banded or tanakas) or pink streaked wrasse, a hi fin or yasha goby with a Randall's pistol shrimp, and a green clown goby sounds like a good stock imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tags
30 gallon, cube, gallon, nano, nano cube, reef, stock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com