stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madmilkman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20 gallon tank to set up as a nano reef with live rock and some basic corals(trying to find hardy ones). I have a penguin 350 filter on the tank. My question is can I put any kind of small fish(preferably a couple of brightly colored ones)in the tank without adding a skimmer?

Yeah. I have a 90 gallon I will eventually set up but I want to grow as much live rock as I can in the 20 in hopes of moving it to the 90. Probably going to take me a while but I am too cheap to pay 1200 dollars for 90 lbs of live rock lol

Got it :p Really, if you'd be willing to wait, you could skip the 20 and go to the 90. Buy a ton of base rock and one or two pieces of live. After a while the base rock will become live. No clue how long it would take, but it would work.

Would be much cheaper. You could also go on Craigslist and see what people have to offer. Good luck!

No problem. I wish I'd gone bigger, can't upgrade though as college is very close. Too bad they don't allow 90 gallons :p

2 occelaris clowns and a firefish is a pretty starndard stocking for a 20g. I had that for a long time without a skimmer and didn't have any trouble.

Yeah. I have a 90 gallon I will eventually set up but I want to grow as much live rock as I can in the 20 in hopes of moving it to the 90. Probably going to take me a while but I am too cheap to pay 1200 dollars for 90 lbs of live rock lol

You don't have to make it live in the 20 .
When you start up the 90 use all dry base rock , cycle the tank and as the beneficial bacteria grows it will cover every surface of the rocks making them live .

You could, and probably should, set up a 20 as a QT tank. I didn't have space, and I'm sure I'm gonna regret it. A friend of mine used to QT live rock, and when he told me to I called him crazy. He then told me the story of the peacock mantis that waltzed out. Just a thought.

I would definitely hate to fail. I have been planning and researching for months and so far all I have is 2 empty tanks lol

I would definitely hate to fail. I have been planning and researching for months and so far all I have is 2 empty tanks lol

What size tanks do you have ?
I'm
Assuming you are planning on a tank and sump ,
Do you know what you planning on stocking in the future ?

1 tank is a 20 and the other is a 90. I will have a sump on the 90 gallon but I have to drill it first. In the 20 I will just have 2 clowns and 1 firefish. Maybe some shrimp and snails if I can.

Back
Top Bottom