Stocking ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apres

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I wanted to know if this is too many fish or not for my 55. In the tank now all I have is a coral beauty and a clean up crew with 75lbs of live rock and a dsb. I will be adding a 20 gal. refugium within the next month. What I want to add is
2 ocellaris clownfish
1 green clown goby
4 blue/green chromis
1 green mandarin
1 six line wrasse

I wasn't sure if this is too much or not for my tank. Thanks for your help.

its not to much i would say u right on target, i wouldnt suggest a mandarin in anything less than a 75 they require a large population of copepods and amphipods, in a smaller tank it will devour the population then slowly starve, i made the mistake of putting one in a 40 gallon it lived for 2 years, but did die from starvation i think the only reason it lived ofr that amount of time was that ot accepted prepared food from time to time, most do not. HTH

I'm wondering if the mandarin and six-line might have issues w/each other searching the rocks for food.

I'd guess that's about 12 or 13" of fish you got listed there. Maybe 24" in adulthood - by my very ruff estimates. You know those chromis can get to about 2 to 2 1/2" each, right? Listed at 3" max. I'd hope all these are added slowly. The mandarin probably last, after the fuge helps produce his pods.

Anyway, welcome to AA! :smilecolros:

P.S. - hah! I beat Lando to the smileys!! Whoopee. :lol:

Dang! :x Hey, Welcome to AA anyways!!! :multi: :onfire: :multi: :onfire: :multi: :onfire:
The issue of stocking is all relative. As long as you follow some simple rules on compatability and fish/tank size you should be okay. f you every have questions on stocking look first at the biological filtration of the tank. You have a good amount of LR and a fuge, that will help a lot. Next, add your fish slowly. One every few weeks. Your tank will let you know if it is handling the bioload. test your water parameters, if all is well you are not overloading the biological filtering capabilities of the tank. Keep in mind, the more you push the limits of the tank, the less room for error should something occur. I recommend leaving yourself a biological "buffer" of sorts to make things easier on your. I agree with the mandarin, hold off for a long time on that, and if you put in a wrasse, skip it all together. They will compete for the same food source and the wrasse will win. Good luck...Lando

Also you want to get an odd number of chromis. Maybe three or five. The three I have school nicely. :wink:

Sounds like a nice stocking plan. You may want to hold off on the mandarin until your future fuge is producing enough pods for him.

Back
Top Bottom