Stocking a 120g Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dragon.goby

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all! On Wednesday I'm going to go pickup my new 120g and I need to figure out what I am going to stock my tank with. I want to figure this out now so that I can build the tank around the species. I want to have SPS's and LPS's along with a anemone. All my fish should be reef friendly and pretty peaceful. I want to have a shrimp and goby pair for sure because gobies are my absolute favorite. I have no idea what I want specifically as far as corals or really any livestock for that matter. So my questions are:

1. What should I get for my fish livestock? Remember, shrimp and goby pair :D .

2. What should I get for my corals? I want LPS's and SPS's. I want to take on the challenge of a brain coral, but probably not till later on.

3. What should I get as a cleanup crew? Ex: Hermit crabs, snails, sea stars ect.

4. What type of anemone should I get? Don't worry I plan to wait about 8 months before adding him in.

5. How should I arrange my live rock? I like the way this one looks with the platforms but I would only do Fiji rock and the platforms. I also like tanks that have the 2 different islands. Any ideas welcome! Persuade me!

I almost forgot, I would also like to have a pair of clowns. Don't know what kind though. I don't want the typical "Nemo" that everyone has.

You could possibly add a Yellow Tang. They are compatible with Gobies, Clownfish, and Inverts although they are on the caution side when it comes to live rock. It's just a suggestion and I'm also going to get a Pistol Shrimp and Goby pair.

You could possibly add a Yellow Tang. They are compatible with Gobies, Clownfish, and Inverts although they are on the caution side when it comes to live rock. It's just a suggestion and I'm also going to get a Pistol Shrimp and Goby pair.

The only thing about the tang is if it will try to eat my corals. Anything else I could get? Also, what kind of goby are you getting?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I also don't know much just look at my name! Good luck on your tank.

I almost forgot, I would also like to have a pair of clowns. Don't know what kind though. I don't want the typical "Nemo" that everyone has.

I can't help with compatibility or anything but I have seen some beautiful snowflake ocellaris if you're looking for unique :)

I can't help with compatibility or anything but I have seen some beautiful snowflake ocellaris if you're looking for unique :)

I've seen the snowflakes and they look very pretty. I will do a little more research on them tonight. Thanks!

The only thing about the tang is if it will try to eat my corals. Anything else I could get? Also, what kind of goby are you getting?

I was going to say a type of Cardinal but they also can be nippy. Blennies are a little on the smaller end but go well with Gobies and Clowns!

If you're planning on sps I'd skip any nem. If it goes walking there goes a bunch of money lol. Just my $.02 though.

If you're planning on sps I'd skip any nem. If it goes walking there goes a bunch of money lol. Just my $.02 though.

Oh so anemones and SPS's are a no? I would probably go with just SPS's then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh so anemones and SPS's are a no? ****. I would probably go with just SPS's then.

Just my opinion but no. Others will probably tell you it's fine but I'd cry if I lost anything in my tank to a stupid nem. Acros are so much cooler anyway! :D lol IMO anyway

I was thinking 29g.Would that be a good size along with 2 clowns and some clean-up crew? I know gobies are one of the smallest SW Reef speices that are not in the wild.

I was thinking 29g.Would that be a good size along with 2 clowns and some clean-up crew? I know gobies are one of the smallest SW Reef speices that are not in the wild.

29 would be perfect. Just give the goby some hiding places.

Just my opinion but no. Others will probably tell you it's fine but I'd cry if I lost anything in my tank to a stupid nem. Acros are so much cooler anyway! :D lol IMO anyway

Yeah I agree. I would want to lose my corals at all. Thanks for the warning.

Back
Top Bottom