Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

All right, I'll focus on getting at least two more filters seeded. I have one HOB ready that I got for free, I'm assuming it's not such a good idea to put some of the extra LR in my refugium into the QT to use as filtration? It doesn't seem right but I can't think of a reason why that's a bad idea...

I'm also going to look around locally (and somewhat not-so-locally) to see what kinds of gobies and blennies I can get that are similar to these suggestions, and I need to see which of them my girlfriend doesn't think are ugly...

At some point I want to have chaeto algae in my refugium/sump. I know that I would need to have a reverse lighting schedule to balance the pH, but besides that I know zero about keeping it. When is a good time to add that? I forsee my tank being ready for a CUC in about 3 weeks...

Old 11-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to abrahamavelar Send a message via Yahoo to abrahamavelar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHorton View Post
All right, I'll focus on getting at least two more filters seeded. I have one HOB ready that I got for free, I'm assuming it's not such a good idea to put some of the extra LR in my refugium into the QT to use as filtration? It doesn't seem right but I can't think of a reason why that's a bad idea...

I forsee my tank being ready for a CUC in about 3 weeks...
you dont want to put it there because if you have to treat it for any dissease the medicine might kill the bacteria

Old 11-10-2009, 01:51 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

OK, but wouldn't it be the same way for a HOB filter?
Old 11-10-2009, 02:35 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to abrahamavelar Send a message via Yahoo to abrahamavelar
kind of but the filter is cheaper and the rock can suck in the copper and if you put the rock back in to the DT it might release the copper and kill your inverts corals, CUC etc. i hope that never happens to anybody but it might
Old 11-10-2009, 06:55 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

I certainly would use some of the rock for the QT tank, but of course if you ever treat with copper it becomes no good but for anything but a QT tank. I got lucky and never had any outbreaks or sick fish in QT. Always ended up adding rock to my tank whenever I finished stocking and took down the QT. Dice roll maybe on losing a bit of rock. I thought it was worth it. Gave the fish natural hiding spaces. I even kept a small CUC in my QT and the rock gave them feeding grounds - as did the glass bottomed tank for that matter.

As far as rock in the fuge, I always figured additional rock helped with the natural filtration. I'd put the ugly stuff down there, and even dead coral skeleton after the tissue was gone for more surface area for that good bacteria to live on. At least those were my thoughts.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:58 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So if I have to medicate a QT, I would either lose the LR or the bio-media I have in the filter I used, and it really only comes down to which is cheaper to replace. The bio-media would be cheaper, and I use large PVC pipe joints to provide hiding places for the QT I have now.

BTW, I added ammonia until I was up to 2-3 ppm yesterday, and before I dosed it again today it was down to a very clean zero. The quick part of the cycle is over and now I get to wait until my nitrites get down from their lovely 0.5 ppm. Looks like I'll be ordering a CUC soon, and I should be looking around for gobies and blennies to QT.

Another thing, I went to Petsmart to get a filter and I wanted to see if they had any pure ammonia. They didn't and of course they asked me why I would want that. I explained the fishless cycle to them and he tried to sell me Bio-Spira. *sigh* good thing I don't take anything they say too seriously...
Old 11-11-2009, 12:15 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHorton View Post
So if I have to medicate a QT, I would either lose the LR or the bio-media I have in the filter I used, and it really only comes down to which is cheaper to replace. The bio-media would be cheaper, and I use large PVC pipe joints to provide hiding places for the QT I have now.

BTW, I added ammonia until I was up to 2-3 ppm yesterday, and before I dosed it again today it was down to a very clean zero. The quick part of the cycle is over and now I get to wait until my nitrites get down from their lovely 0.5 ppm. Looks like I'll be ordering a CUC soon, and I should be looking around for gobies and blennies to QT.

Another thing, I went to Petsmart to get a filter and I wanted to see if they had any pure ammonia. They didn't and of course they asked me why I would want that. I explained the fishless cycle to them and he tried to sell me Bio-Spira. *sigh* good thing I don't take anything they say too seriously...
thats what i have on mine pvc and old fw decorations, also i know petco will have ammonia, the petco by my house has a guy that he actually knows alot about saltwater because he has a reef tank
Old 11-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

I'm not knowledgeable at all on the adding pure ammonia to a SW tank.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:10 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

neither am i i rather use the shrimp method
Old 11-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here's where I stand in the stocking brainstorming process, in the order I intend to add them:

CUC: shrimps, snails and pods, probably just a generic reef CUC I can order from somewhere.

Gobies: I like clown gobies, I'll probably end up with maybe two of those. I also want some kind of shrimp goby, a watchman goby or something similar. I also like firefish gobies, but I don't know if they would be compatible.

Blennies: Midas, Canary, Bi-Color, or Forktail are the kinds I like, I think maybe two of these, whatever I can find that's compatible?

Cardinals: I'll probably get anywhere from 3-6 of Bangais. It would be nice if they'd school, and it would be nice if they'd breed. We'll see how many I can get my hands on...

Tangs: I still have a little more researching to do on tangs. I know I want a yellow tang and one to two others, but I need to see what's available around here and do a little more looking.

Damsels: Just the five I already have, they'll go in at this point.

Clownfish: I'm going to wait on these until I can start adding corals. I'd like a mated pair bonded to an anemone, what exact type is not too important.

Pseudochromis: Maybe some time in the future? We'll see how everything else goes.

Tags
reef, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com