Stocking a 30 gallon SW tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No way i'm crossing the snowflake off my list, it is the reason i want a 55 reef. And the lionfish i REALLY want, not that i care if i get stung (i have mainly catfish)...And, the engineer goby would be a GREAT addition.So, now i know what i'm getting (angler,engineer goby,snowflake eel and the lionfish)... I'll start a new thread about the reef once it's all set up (probably 3 months).

Lung Fish-

Do you have any idea that you are endangering innocent animal lives in your endeavors? Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Shame on you.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Do you have any idea that you are endangering innocent animal lives in your endeavors? Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Shame on you.

+1 Agreed... but from his demeanour I don't think he cares. Ultimately he will learn the consequences...

Let me break it down for you.
If you get stung by a lion (dwarf) or volitain it will hurt a lot. I know I got tagged by a small volitain while I was working at a lfs once. Definitely not an experience id like to repeat. It literally feels like your hand is on fire...

I'd skip the angler as they are very slow feeders and really need species only tanks. If it's to big it will try to eat your other fish and if to small your other fish will eat it.

The engineer, lion (dwarf variety not a big one), and the eel sounds fine though. Just have a really tight lid as eels are phenomenal escape artists.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have kept MANY eel-like species.Oh, and, i am planning to get an antenna lionfish (Or two, LOL)...

I have kept MANY predatory eel like species...And will be doing 3 MONTHS of RESEARCH before i get one.You should really ask people what the're tanks are like BEFORE you decide to assualt them...

Well, unfortunately in this case your persistence might be setting yourself up to fail. I know I sure don't know you, but I don't want you to fail in your effort of keeping a saltwater tank.

It is great that you have the experience with eel like species, so we won't have to warn you about a solid lid or chances of getting bit. But you still have fish together that won't be compatible. The angler will end up being an expensive treat for a lionfish.

In terms of lionfish, there are some that are just too big for the size of tank that you are wanting to start up and that I currently run as a successful reef tank. The antennas typically require a 50, so it is possible that you may be able to keep one in a 55 without issue. That being said, two would set them both up to stress and eventual death with not enough room to move.
The key to understanding what can live in the tank with a lionfish can be pretty generalized. If it is the size of the lionfish, the lionfish will eat it. So aim for things that won't fit in its mouth. I think a snowflake or engineer goby would be an OK choice to go in with one, as they typically build themselves a burrow and stick to it.

So, speaking of your want of a burrower, make sure you put the rock into the tank first and then put in the sand. This will prevent a tragic rock shift that could crack the glass. I had an engineer goby and used egg crate from Lowes to put at the bottom of the tank to help prevent this and protect the bottom glass.

Now, eels and lionfish are MESSY eaters. I'd suggest researching a protein skimmer to put on the tank to help keep the parameters in check and keeping all the food and gunk out of the water column.

Let me break it down for you.
If you get stung by a lion (dwarf) or volitain it will hurt a lot. I know I got tagged by a small volitain while I was working at a lfs once. Definitely not an experience id like to repeat. It literally feels like your hand is on fire...
Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yup, I got tagged with three spines from my red volitan long ago, and he was almost 6".
Burned like mother for about 24 hours and was swollen for few days.
BUT if you are sensitive it can be lethal. We had a customer that got stung in the finger be a black volitan about 4". He had a bad reaction to it, his entire arm up to the shoulder almost doubled in size and he was hospitalized for two days.
Needless to say the next time we saw him his arm was bandaged and swollen and he had the lionfish in a bucket returning it.

also saw my boss at that store get his fingertip shredded by a baby snowflake, it bled for hours.

Having said all that, triggers, some groupers, large tangs, similarly sized and temperament fish would be ok with lions and eels, but they really need at least a 125 to make it work.

One other thing to bear in mind is that as the fish grow and their relative sizes to one another change, so does the aggression and territorial dynamics in the tank.
Basically, a fish that is a good citizen at 3" may be a holy terror at 5" if it thinks it is now big enough to take on the other inhabitants. I have that issue now with a blue fin damsel. It was fine when I first got it, but he has almost doubled in size and is now the second largest in the tank and he is relentlessly tormenting everyone else now.

He won't be making the move to the bigger tank this week. LOL

I dont see where anyone has attacked you. Everyone has clearly gave you there opinion or experience. It`s up to you whether you accept it or not. Whatever you do dont get mad because everyone expressed their opinions. I personally think the opinions and experiences were outstanding.

Thread closed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom