Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-16-2014, 09:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Stocking a 30 gallon SW tank?

Hey guys. I am going to start a SW tank with a few anemones in it! I want :Sandhopper blenny, Lawnmower blenny,Engineer goby, Rainbow Goby, A spotted mandarin goby, and possibly an angler...

Old 12-16-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh and, a striped saltwater catfish (coarl catfish), and an octopus...

Old 12-16-2014, 12:37 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

All that will not even come close to making it in a thirty gallon tank. Besides that all the multiple gobies and blennies will fight. Also in a small tank like that with all that livestock, some will be fatalities to the anenomes. Please do some research before you start this tank.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
Old 12-16-2014, 01:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Should i narrow it down to what i really want? Out of em, if i just had to pick a few, the angler, octopus, and the catfish... (oh and i am adding the anenomes)
Old 12-16-2014, 01:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lung Fish View Post
Should i narrow it down to what i really want? Out of em, if i just had to pick a few, the angler, octopus, and the catfish... (oh and i am adding the anenomes)

Nope, not gonna work

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 12-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Octopi are something only those with YEARS of experience should even consider They have very demanding needs concerning water quality and oxygen, and they would eat any fish or inverts you put with them.

The catfish you want are poisonous, just so you know (I was very ill for 3 days + from a simple jab of a spine)

Mandarins pretty much need a constant source of live foods and shouldn't even be attempted by a beginner or in a tank less than 12-18 months old.

The same holds true for anemones, they shouldn't be even considered unless the tank is 12 months established or older. They also have demanding needs concerning water quality and light.

An angler would be possible, but they will eat whatever can fit in their mouths.

you need to do a lot more research it would appear.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, i do have 4-5 years of experience and have kept MANY catfish over the years so i think i could pull the angler, catfish ,and octopus off...
Old 12-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh, and can you tell me what species would be good for a 30 gallon SW?
Old 12-16-2014, 02:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/a...c=15+2124&qv=0

One of the smaller anglers could work too, but as pb said they'll eat what ever can fit in their mouths, and that's pretty much every fish that can fit in a 30 gal so the angler would probably be a species only in a small tank.

The cat fish gets to be a foot long and doesn't belong in a 30. And based on your questions your most likely not ready for a octopus.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 12-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Well, i do have 4-5 years of experience and have kept MANY catfish over the years so i think i could pull the angler, catfish ,and octopus off...
maybe I should have been clearer; many, many years of experience with saltwater specifically.
Like bigred said, an angler would be a species only tank, same with an octopus.

You could put all three together in a 30 gallon, but within 24 hours you would most likely only have one critter left, probably the octopus, that is if the toxic catfish doesn't kill it during the battle.

unless of course the octopus decides to escape and you find it dead on the floor.

Tags
30 gallon, gallon, stock, stocking, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com