Stocking a 30 gallon SW tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lung Fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys. I am going to start a SW tank with a few anemones in it! I want :Sandhopper blenny, Lawnmower blenny,Engineer goby, Rainbow Goby, A spotted mandarin goby, and possibly an angler...

Oh and, a striped saltwater catfish (coarl catfish), and an octopus...

All that will not even come close to making it in a thirty gallon tank. Besides that all the multiple gobies and blennies will fight. Also in a small tank like that with all that livestock, some will be fatalities to the anenomes. Please do some research before you start this tank.

Should i narrow it down to what i really want? Out of em, if i just had to pick a few, the angler, octopus, and the catfish... (oh and i am adding the anenomes)

Should i narrow it down to what i really want? Out of em, if i just had to pick a few, the angler, octopus, and the catfish... (oh and i am adding the anenomes)

Nope, not gonna work

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Octopi are something only those with YEARS of experience should even consider They have very demanding needs concerning water quality and oxygen, and they would eat any fish or inverts you put with them.

The catfish you want are poisonous, just so you know (I was very ill for 3 days + from a simple jab of a spine)

Mandarins pretty much need a constant source of live foods and shouldn't even be attempted by a beginner or in a tank less than 12-18 months old.

The same holds true for anemones, they shouldn't be even considered unless the tank is 12 months established or older. They also have demanding needs concerning water quality and light.

An angler would be possible, but they will eat whatever can fit in their mouths.

you need to do a lot more research it would appear.

Well, i do have 4-5 years of experience and have kept MANY catfish over the years so i think i could pull the angler, catfish ,and octopus off...

Oh, and can you tell me what species would be good for a 30 gallon SW?

www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+2124&qv=0

One of the smaller anglers could work too, but as pb said they'll eat what ever can fit in their mouths, and that's pretty much every fish that can fit in a 30 gal so the angler would probably be a species only in a small tank.

The cat fish gets to be a foot long and doesn't belong in a 30. And based on your questions your most likely not ready for a octopus.

Well, i do have 4-5 years of experience and have kept MANY catfish over the years so i think i could pull the angler, catfish ,and octopus off...

maybe I should have been clearer; many, many years of experience with saltwater specifically.
Like bigred said, an angler would be a species only tank, same with an octopus.

You could put all three together in a 30 gallon, but within 24 hours you would most likely only have one critter left, probably the octopus, that is if the toxic catfish doesn't kill it during the battle.

unless of course the octopus decides to escape and you find it dead on the floor.

I have decided on a 55-40 gallon reef with a snowflake eel, a cleaner shrimp and maybe a lionfish...

I don't know if I'd do reef and eel, I spend to much time with my hands in my reef tanks to feel comfortable with having an eel, jmo though...

30g is too small for a octopus
snow flake eel gets to big for a 30g
engineer goby s get up to 16inch and would be confined in a 30g
lion fish is also out in 30g
both eel and lion would eat the skunk shrimp too
have you considered maybe a harlequin bass or a lantern bass or a tabaco bass all these fish would work in a 30g and have awesome markings and get about 5 inch
you are limited to what fish will work in a 30g

I don't know if I'd do reef and eel, I spend to much time with my hands in my reef tanks to feel comfortable with having an eel

I know that feeling my engineer goby wraps around my wrist kind of creepy

I have decided on a 55-40 gallon reef with a snowflake eel, a cleaner shrimp and maybe a lionfish...

A 55 is a great tank. I love my 55 reef. I would avoid the lionfish and the snowflake. You end up with your hands in a reef all the time, opening you up to get bit or stung. But that is just my opinion.
To get a similar look, the engineer goby would be a great fit for a 55 reef. I had one in my tank for a short period of time and really enjoyed him. As they are more peaceful, this will open you up to many other options for fish in this size of tank.
Check out liveaquaria.com. They can help you narrow down appropriate choices for the livestock you like and what will be able to live together. They have very accurate recommendations for tank size requirements.

A 55 is a great tank. I love my 55 reef. I would avoid the lionfish and the snowflake. You end up with your hands in a reef all the time, opening you up to get bit or stung. But that is just my opinion.
To get a similar look, the engineer goby would be a great fit for a 55 reef. I had one in my tank for a short period of time and really enjoyed him. As they are more peaceful, this will open you up to many other options for fish in this size of tank.
Check out liveaquaria.com. They can help you narrow down appropriate choices for the livestock you like and what will be able to live together. They have very accurate recommendations for tank size requirements.
No way i'm crossing the snowflake off my list, it is the reason i want a 55 reef. And the lionfish i REALLY want, not that i care if i get stung (i have mainly catfish)...And, the engineer goby would be a GREAT addition.So, now i know what i'm getting (angler,engineer goby,snowflake eel and the lionfish)... I'll start a new thread about the reef once it's all set up (probably 3 months).

Lung Fish-

Hope you plan on a sump with a big ole skimmer, your choices are pretty much all on the "messy" side, and will have large bio loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom