Stocking a 37 gallon reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nikachu0315

Aquarium Advice Freak
As the title says I'm wondering if this stock I chose would be okay.
Clean up Crew
3 nassarius snails
5 nerite snails
5 cerith snails
10 hermit crabs
1 peppermint Shrimp
2 skunk cleaner shrimp
1 sand sifting starfish
1 pencil urchin

Actual display fish
1 yellow watchman goby
1 pistol shrimp
1 court jester goby
2 firefish
2 feather dusters
2 pajama cardinals
2 occelaris clowns
1 royal gramma
1 squamosa clam
1 mandarin fish

Feather dusters don't always survive very clean water. Mine died within a month of being moved from my sumpless setup with high nitrates to a tank with a sump and 0 nitrates.

I realize this is an older thread that hasnt been active in a month or so but I'm starting a 37 gallon reef tank as well. Call me crazy but this seems overstocked. As I've considered stocking my 37 I've thought all along that 7 fish or so would be max. You are looking at 11. While they may be compatible it seems overstocked to me.

I have a 37gal and I have only two fish...maybe add one more but I don't want the space cramped...I too would like to know the max in this size tank. I have quite a few coral

On a 37 inch tank it will should be safe to house 8 at the most, depending on the size of fish. Inverts put out a very low bioload. My 30 gallon is maxed at 7 fish but i have around 2 dozen corals. My test are all nearly zero with a 30% water change every two weeks. My fish guy says i can have up to another dozen corals. As long as water changes are done on time.

It really depends on the size of the fish...there's no real "1 inch per gallon" rule or set # of fish rules...just depends on size of tank, and your filter/equipment to handle the bioload.

I'm apprehensive about adding fish because of my damsel...he's more aggressive than my maroon clown, and is a little smaller.

Air to water surface area plays a big role in gas exchanges. A long wide tank can have more fish than a tall narrow tank. Even if its the same gallons. The co2 is able to escape easier keeping the ph from going acidic. Or vice versa. More research is needed on each fish you want to keep

It is recommended to add the more aggressive fish at the end. I was told by my fish guy that i could quarantine the more agressive fish. Add the new fish so that fish can become more stable and stress free. After two weeks introduce the other fish back in your tank. But thats just one opinion

Back
Top Bottom