Stocking Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chance

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey. I'm pretty new to the whole saltwater "experience" as my LFS puts it. Unfortunately I didn't know about this site and cycled my tank using chromis along with 40 lbs live sand and 30 lbs live rock. Fortunately two of the three survived. I now have added two turbo snails, 10 small hermits, an electric blue hermit, a cleaner shrimp, a pj cardinal and a coral beauty. Now for the cool part. Yesterday I bought a tank raised Clownfish And went back today and got an anemone that had been in the same tank. When I came downstairs I saw him in it. My question is where should I go from here keeping in mind I want a community tank? Thanks for the advice

image-1123172121.jpg

If you just cycled, the nem shouldnt have been added. Shouldnt add one for 6 months to a year to let the tank stabilize. They are prerty sensitive. I made the same mistake.

Dont recall the size of your tank to recommend fish... but i enjoy the royal gamma in my 36 gal.

Oh really? Do you think The nem will be able to make it? I've got a 45 gallon

Hi I also made the mistake of putting in a nem to early (3 months) & mine only lasted a month. You'll know when it's dying because it'll start to fall apart. So if that starts to happen get it out ASAP.

What can I do to help it out? I'd hate to lose it.

Nem's need very good light, and stable parameters - best thing you can do is to keep the water quality as close to perfect as possible - very hard as your new tank is settling itself. Also make sure you have phenomenal lighting. I've heard rare cases that people had nems under lower light, but not recommended.

The nem ate some krill today. I'm hoping it makes it.

It seems to be doing ok but is not sticking. I'm afraid the foot may be damaged. Can the foot heal?

I would just leave it be at this point. There's not much you can do but keep the light going and keep the water clean as it can be. I wouldn't feed it again for another couple days and make sure you feed very small pieces. Digesting a large piece of food can stress it out further.

Agh I'm stressing over this. I wish there was more than one LFS in my area. What should it's foot look like?

Don't stress out to much I have a bunch of acros, montis, and other harder to keep corals I bought a month after my tank cycled and they are still doing great. I had trouble with one monti but that's it. Keep it steady which in my opinion isn't hard so I don't think u will have any issues with ur anemone. U should be alright. I don't own a anemone and never will because I don't like how they move around and sting things

Now that a think about it it when my tank hit 6 months for some reason it transformed. Don't ask me how I can't explain it. But it changed from good to top notch on the water quality. No changes on my end

I have to agree. LOL Around the 6-8 month mark on my 125g it just seemed to change, it seemed to be more stable and you could just tell the tank found it's groove.

Thats usually why they say to wait about 6 months before getting a nem. Your water chemistry goes through alot of changes as it matures that first year and nems are very particular about their water and light.

Crazy isn't it. When peolple ask me what do u do? I say full time engineer, full time dad, and full time marine biologist

Idk. I guess I just have to wait and see. It accepted krill this afternoon and the Clownfish is still with it. Hopefully it will work.

Not that anyone is interested other than me (and occasionally my wife) but the nem has finally planted it foot on some LR as of yesterday and has been opening up very full the past week. Now my only problem is that my arrow crab won't leave it alone.

Chance said:
Not that anyone is interested other than me (and occasionally my wife) but the nem has finally planted it foot on some LR as of yesterday and has been opening up very full the past week. Now my only problem is that my arrow crab won't leave it alone.

I'm glad the nem is doing well! Is the clown still hosting it? Hopefully someone knows how to make the crab leave it alone.

Oh yeah. My clown is never more than a few inches away from it.

Back
Top Bottom