Stocking Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MountainAsh87

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm waffling between a marine setup or a freshwater set up - I still need to get equipment for either one - but I like to plan things out well in advance.

Blue/Green Reef Chromis (5) and/or Pajama Cardinalfish (5) and/or Blue Reef Chromis (5)
Zebra Barred Dartfish (3)
Royal Gramma Basslet (1)

Assuming I go marine (again, still up in the air), it will be a full reef setup with crushed coral substrate.

Does this stocking look reasonable for a 60 gal, or would it have me overstocked? Tank is 48.5" long x 12.75" deep x 25" tall.

Seems like a fine stocking. None of those fish get that big. My only word of advice is to get sand instead of crushed coral. Crushed coral can trap debris under it and cause nitrate spikes.

My only word of advice is to get sand instead of crushed coral. Crushed coral can trap debris under it and cause nitrate spikes.

See, I wanted sand, but a more experienced person who's been helping me suggested coral because of possible nitrate (?) spikes in unturned sand. :/ I know that's a problem in FW, not sure about SW.

See, I wanted sand, but a more experienced person who's been helping me suggested coral because of possible nitrate (?) spikes in unturned sand. :/ I know that's a problem in FW, not sure about SW.

I use sand in both my tanks. As long as you don't have a deep sand bed of like 3-4" you shouldn't have a problem. I have a cucumber in my tank who is pretty thorough at filtering the sand too.

IMO sand is just a better overall option, just go for a shallower sand bed. None of the fish you mentioned need a deeper bed as they don't burrow or sleep in it

Noted, and thank you! :D

I'm assuming that I need to pick between the Blue/Green Reef Chromis, the Pajama Cardinalfish, and the Blue Reef Chromis? I feel like trying to have all three groups will overstock the tank, but I'm not sure how far I can reasonably push it.

Yeah I'd pick one of the groups. They all get a decent size, around 3-3.5" so having all 3 groups would be chaotic.

Fair! XD Banggais are gorgeous, but I'd ruled them out because my research labeled them as semi-aggressive. I really want a docile tank.

Fair! XD Banggais are gorgeous, but I'd ruled them out because my research labeled them as semi-aggressive. I really want a docile tank.

Semi-aggressive? Really? Mine does nothing all day but sit under my overflow box and run away from any other fish if it gets to close haha.

Non aggressive at all. Really shows you can't fully trust everything you read on the web :). All sw fish have personalities too so it is hard to judge a species based on one individual fish that doesn't fit the general accepted version of that fish.

So true! Still, if I had to pick between Banggais and Blue Reef Chromis, I think the Chromis will win. Which is why I was hoping that I could squeak by with two small schools. ( I knew three would be too much, but I tend to be really indecisive until I finally bite the bullet and run with stuff. )

Back
Top Bottom