Stocking Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c-bass

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

I have been doing further research and narrowing my fish choices down. Can anyone tell me if my "wishlist" will work or not? (I have a 36" long 46G tank with the plan for a reef setup)

I really like the yellow tang but my tank is too small, isn't it? Anyway, my "wishlist" is as follows:

- 1 percula clown,
- 1 royal gramma basslet
- 1 citron clown goby
- either 1 yellowtail blue damsel or an orchid dottyback(fridmani)
- 1 coral beauty angel (if possible)

I would also like to include a cleaning crew of crabs and snails, a couple bumblebee snails, a cleaner shrimp and a blood shrimp.

Also, will corals and anemones add to the bio load? what is my limit with those?

thanks in advance!!

c-bass said:
- 1 percula clown,
- 1 royal gramma basslet
- 1 citron clown goby
- either 1 yellowtail blue damsel or an orchid dottyback(fridmani)
- 1 coral beauty angel (if possible)
The list seems fine except the dwarf is not recommended in a reef setting as they are prone to nipping coral poyps. I would not recommend the gramma and the dotty together, you would be better of with one or the other. I would suggest two percs introduced simultaniously, they do much better in pairs and once "happy" with the surroundings can mate quite often..

Always make sure new arrivals are properly QT'd and acclimated

I would also like to include a cleaning crew of crabs and snails, a couple bumblebee snails, a cleaner shrimp and a blood shrimp.
Also, will corals and anemones add to the bio load? what is my limit with those?
Blood shrimp are very nice shrimp but I think you will be disappointed with it's lack of appearance. They tend to hide alot. Corals and such do not really add anything to the bio load. If anything they help with cleaning the water. How many would depend on the type and size. Some corals will not do well if too close to others or if they are rather aggressive in nature.
As far as the "cleaners" go, it should more be determined by available natural need than "owners" desires. You should not exceed the capacity of the tank to feed them somewhat naturally and still be able to clean up the extra's the fish do not eat as well as when they are done eating.

Cheers
Steve

Sounds good!

So if I went with 2 percs, 1 royal gramma, 1 clown goby, and 1 yellowtail goby, I am within stocking boundaries? Hope so! It works for me.

c-bass said:
So if I went with 2 percs, 1 royal gramma, 1 clown goby, and 1 yellowtail goby, I am within stocking boundaries? Hope so! It works for me.

The yellowtail goby? used to be a damsel but yes, you would be fine for stock levels.

I would introduce in the following order:

Clowns>>clown goby>>gramma>>damsel. Personally I would skip the damsel and opt for something else but that is your descicion not mine :wink: . They are not as aggressive as most but you could end up with some sqwabbling. Just be absolutley sure it is not mistaken for a Blue Fiji Devil Damsel which can also have a yellow tail. They are holy terrors.

As each one emerges from being properly QT'd the next one can be placed in QT for the appropriate 3-4 weeks and it will not tax your system at all.

Cheers
Steve

Great. I have heard that about damsels so I may heed your advice. Would I be able to introduce a green mandarinfish in it's place as the last fish in the system after everything is established (6- 8 months)? If not, any suggestions for cool looking fish?

I don't know, I think you might be at the top of the limit.
The clowns will get to about 6-8"(combined) in length.
The gobies will be several inches combined also
The gramma will get 2-3".

They will be wonderfully happy when small, but you might think of upgrading down the road.

I strongly aggree in skipping the damsels. Any damsel with white is supposed to not be coral-friendly, from what I understand. Good Luck!!!

c-bass said:
Would I be able to introduce a green mandarinfish in it's place as the last fish in the system after everything is established (6- 8 months)?

Please don't add a dragonette. They need alot more room to have a long life. I think with the gobies, clowns, and royal gramma, you have one heck of a bioload for the 46 gallon.

Sorry, I'm not trying to spam.......but you might look into cardinals. They have been referred to as "nocturnal damsels". They are more active at night, but they are still pretty fish and are very visible during the day. They are also very mild tempered. The Pajama and Bangaii are gorgeous fish.

About the mandarin, I don't mean to sound crass. Its just that they need alot of room to be happy, say about 100 gallons minimum. I have one in my 55, but it's only until my 120 gallon finishes its cycle. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom