Stocking advice for 30 gallon FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gusgus

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I'm new to saltwater aquariums and looking for advice on my stocking wishlist after my tank is cycled (ammonia is pretty low and Nitrites are at .50). I would like to put a pair of ocellaris clowns, a royal gramma, dwarf angel(flame or coral beauty), and some species of Jawfish or other sand dweller. for inverts I'd like about 9 scarlet hermit crabs, about 3 turbo snails, 5 jumbo nassarius (please forgive spelling), 1 or 2 small red stars, and 2 cleaner shrimp.

My equipment:
30 gal long (36")
Emperor 400
Red sea prism skimmer
Aquaticgardens 100W heater
Corallife Aqualight 65W 50/50
50lbs of sand
Just a few pounds of live rock mostly lava rockscape
Penguin 1100 powerhead (just for circulation)
Aquaclear 402 powerhead (just for circulation)

Am I nuts, right on the brink, or well within specs for my stocking vs. tank abilities? Thanks

It may be OK, but you would definately be pushing the limit.
Fo you go through, make sure you qt and introduce them one at a time (except the clowns) giving several weeks in between for the biological filter to adjust.
Would definately beef up the LR way more than you indicate.
1 or 2 small red stars
What kind of stars? Anything other than a serpent or small brittle, I would skip.
mostly lava rockscape
Where would you be getting this rock from? Lava rick can contain metals that you would not want is a salt system.

I plan your setup in my 38 gallon. Except I don't plan on an angel. I have 2 0. clowns, 1 firefish and I will definetly be getting a royal gramma. If that all works out maybe some other small fish. But I doubt it. If anything maybe a cardinal just because they are odd looking.

AR15 guy said:
I plan your setup in my 38 gallon. Except I don't plan on an angel. I have 2 0. clowns, 1 firefish and I will definetly be getting a royal gramma. If that all works out maybe some other small fish. But I doubt it. If anything maybe a cardinal just because they are odd looking.
If you get a cardinal get two. They like to group.

Step up the Live Rock to more like 20lbs. You need a better bio filter to handle that load on a 30 gallon tank. Keep up with water changes every other week and add the fish slowly.

Back
Top Bottom