Stocking an compatability in a 240 gallon predator tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlidnick

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently got a 240 gallon tank and need advice on stocking it. I really like the idea of keeping stingrays so I'm basing the rest of my stock after them. I've done a little research and I'm thinking of keeping these fish together, but before I spend all that money I want to make sure it won't be a disaster.

2 cortez stingrays, 1 snowflake eel, 1 banded bamboo shark, and 2 blue dot groupers.

So far the tank is set up with about 2/3's open sand and in one corner a structure of live rock.

If you don't think this will work can you give me some alternatives. I'm somewhat concerned that the middle and top of the tank will be abandoned and the bottom will be overcrowded. I first thought the groupers would occupy the top but I think that may be wrong so if that's the case I would appreciate suggestions for open water fish.

I'm really new to saltwater and I know my research is still in its infancy and my ideas are completely subject to change. Thanks in advance to all responses.

I'm not sure about the fish portion of it as I don't have experience with sharks or rays. But one corner of live rock in a 240 won't be enough natural filtration. You going to have a sump? I would load your sump with as much rock as you can fit. Will add to your biological filtration and more surface area for beneficial bacteria. Also take it slow with livestock. Do a fish-less cycle as well.

Anything that has a narrow mouth or beak like mouth that can peck is a no go with stingrays and sharks so that excludes triggers, tangs, and angelfish. They will pop out the stingray's eyes when they burrow. And remember to get very fine sand.

I have a 55 gallon sump with plenty of rock so filtration shouldn't be an issue. I have cycled many tanks for Cichlids and other tropical fish so unless something is different about cycling saltwater tanks I should be good in that department as well.

If there are no problems with my current stocking idea could I increase the number of grouper or add any other open water fish?

Cichlidnick said:
I have a 55 gallon sump with plenty of rock so filtration shouldn't be an issue. I have cycled many tanks for Cichlids and other tropical fish so unless something is different about cycling saltwater tanks I should be good in that department as well.

If there are no problems with my current stocking idea could I increase the number of grouper or add any other open water fish?

You could get a lionfish or angler or an Aussie tusk

I think tusk fish are no good with a ray. Don't they have big teeth that they use to crush inverts just like a trigger or puffer?

Hondatek said:
I think tusk fish are no good with a ray. Don't they have big teeth that they use to crush inverts just like a trigger or puffer?

They do but they don't peck at rocks or things like sand i.e they eat from the water column not sand bed

Makes sense but the potential for something to happen is still there by mixing them even though they don't search the sand bed for food. The ray will swim mid tank if it's comfortable enough also. Too risky for me JMO.

Hondatek said:
Makes sense but the potential for something to happen is still there by mixing them even though they don't search the sand bed for food. The ray will swim mid tank if it's comfortable enough also. Too risky for me JMO.

True, but he wouldn't attack unless he thought it was food which two black dots on the sandbed look like. A 15" ray swimming mid tank wouldn't be in danger of being attacked by a 12" tusk.

Thanks for the replies. It seems I'm on the right track. I might add a lionfish later on if I feel like the tank could use something more.

Back
Top Bottom