Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Stocking Help

First I'll describe my setup and the my intended stocking options. I will mark the fish I currently have in the DT or Quarantine.
I have a 50g DT with 60-65 lbs of live rock. 40lbs of sand. I have two Koralia 425s, one sunsun 530gph powerhead and HOB overflow (200gph)
In the sump, I have a 200w heater, cheap $30 ebay protein skimmer (works well so far), two little fishies gfo reactor, return pump (200 gph). I also have 20 lbs of live rock in sump and 10 lbs sand.

Current Inverts in the DT:
2 peppermint shrimp
Duncan Coral with 6+ heads
Dragon Eye Zoa
Fire and Ice Zoa
Hermits and Snails of various assortment

Intended Stocking:
Royal Gramma Basslet*
Green Mandarin* (Aquacultured and eats pellets)
Midas Blenny*
Orange Spotted Goby*
Filamented Flasher Wrasse*

Purple Firefish
Coral Beauty Angel OR Flame Angel
Blue/Green Chromis (2-3)

Does that sound okay? Does it sound like too much? Are there conflicts I don't see/know about?

KantGetRite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:31 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion
I say skip the coral beauty or flame angel as they can go nipping after corals. Mine is fine with corals, but went postal on my clams.
Same for the mandarin, though I think you already have one in your QT. Even trained on pellets, ends up not being worth it as they can still go back to pods. Mine ate mysis shrimp right from the water column and still needed the tank stacked with pods. Cost a fortune. Never again.
I'd also skip the chromis. They do better in odd numbers, but somehow always seem to go postal on each other until there is only 1. A glorified damsel is how I look at them.
The rest sounds just fine to me. I have 6 fish in my 55 reef tank that do wonderfully together. Stocking was similar at one point in time, but things come and go to where I am now with it. If it is an active swimming fish you are looking for to replace the dwarf angel, might want to see if there is a dottyback that would fit into there. I had an indigo dottyback that I absolutely loved. PJ cardinals are also quite colorful and always out in the water column floating around.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

stock, stocking, stocking help

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com