Stocking help for 60gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdw1974

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi
I'm setting up my first marine tank. It's been cycling for 6 weeks now. I have a sump with all the equipment in and have around 30kg of live rock and some power heads. All the chemicals etc have been spot on for the last 3 weeks. I want a tank with bright fish that are interesting and different for the children. They have asked for the expected clowns. I've looked at many books but I guess I've confused myself with the choice and would really appreciate some suggestions. I also want some advice on what invertebrates to put in. I would like a few corals or / anemones not many though but what would you suggest. I'm in no hurry and if it takes 12 months to stock I don't really care. Thanks in advance.

Cool, do you have more rock in the sump? I would recommend around 60lbs in total if you can. If your looking at adding corals you will need to choose reef safe fish - I use live aquaria for reference. You can select tank size, reef safe fish and temperament. I love my clowns but wished I'd added them last, my female is very aggressive and am at the point where I cannot add any other fish for fear that she will terrorize them. what king of lighting do you have? And flow? That will help you choose what kind of corals you can keep, I wouldn't even consider an anemone for at least 8months to a year.

That's interesting about the clown fish I was planning on adding them first. I've done some research and these are some of the fishes I'm considering but want to add to it. What do you think and what would you add and when.

Mandarin fish - synchiropus splendidus

Lemon goby - gobiodon citrinus

Banana wrasse - halichoeres chrysus or four spot wrasse - halichoeres trispilus

Centropyge angelfish
- eibls
- lemonpeel
- heralds
- pearl scaled

Common clown - amphiprion ocellaris (2)

Also I have 4 t5 lights, 2 of which are blue and my circulation pump is 5400 lph

Cool, do you have more rock in the sump? I would recommend around 60lbs in total if you can. If your looking at adding corals you will need to choose reef safe fish - I use live aquaria for reference. You can select tank size, reef safe fish and temperament. I love my clowns but wished I'd added them last, my female is very aggressive and am at the point where I cannot add any other fish for fear that she will terrorize them. what king of lighting do you have? And flow? That will help you choose what kind of corals you can keep, I wouldn't even consider an anemone for at least 8months to a year.

30 kg is 66 pounds.

Now for fish- avoid damsels and if you plan to add coral know that angels tend to find coral tasty. Also mandarins are very cool and colorful and notoriously hard to keep alive. Get your clowns for sure, I would add a blenny also maybe a bicolor. A goby shrimp pair would be cool in the eyes of a kid. I found with my kids that showing them what you can keep and letting them pick is a way to get them interested and they are proud to show off "their" fish.

Those Angel fish are not reef safe. They will nip and munch on any corals you have.

Back
Top Bottom