Stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveJP

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As I snorkel in the reefs of Cancun, I realize I want a saltwater tank. My wife really wants a kole tang, so I want to build a tank for her in a few years. (Going to do a lot of research on everything before i start building.) I was wondering, what kind of fish mates can happily live with a kole tang? I'm making a tank from acrylic (dimensions 9'L x 2'H x 2W). I don't want too many fish, total of 4-5 with a good bit of crustaceans and a mandarin fish or two. Thanks:)

You are looking at a 270 gallon fish tank. You could definitely put way more than five fish, so it is good so that if you want more fish then you could potentially add more. I would recommend getting a large angelfish. Your tank is perfect for them. My personal favorite is the emperor angelfish. It is fun to watch them grow and change.

I would do large angel for sure, emperor and queen are my personal favorites, maybe a foxface or a wrasse might be a good idea

These are all great ideas. I really new to saltwater. I've been told that it easier to start a saltwater tank in a large tank vs a small tank. I've had quite a bit of experience with fresh water: Cichlids, community fish, plating. I'm hoping this will have more of a challenge.

These are all great ideas. I really new to saltwater. I've been told that it easier to start a saltwater tank in a large tank vs a small tank. I've had quite a bit of experience with fresh water: Cichlids, community fish, plating. I'm hoping this will have more of a challenge.

If you are new, than I would wait with the angel. They tend to be moderate to difficult to take care of. I would do the foxface, kole tang, any maybe a harlequin tusk. Those are kinda cool. If you want, you can also add a blue tang, just add it with the kole. The rule of thumb with tangs is you need to introduce at the name time, and they need different body shape. ( blue and naso wouldn't work) the mandarin is kinds hard, so I would wait to get it. If you need help, just give me a shout!:fish1::fish1:(y)

Then maybe you can get a dwarf angel. They are easier to take care of than large angels.

Agreed. Plus, if you are going big, than I would get two; perhaps I bicolor and a flame angel

They may be expensive but I really like the colorization of the multicolor angel.

Money is really not an option when it come to stocking. I want to do it right when it comes to keeping healthy fish. I really like the coloration of the dwarf angels too. Another though, kind of off topic, how do I find out if these fish are reef safe? Will it say it in the description of the fish?

Go to liveaquaria and they have a bunch of information including whether the fish is reef safe or not.

Oh man if money isn't a problem for stocking get a gem tang! Now that's an expensive fish. But seriously I like yellow tangs, harlequin tusk wrasse, a shoal of anthias for sure. You could also do fairy wrasses and definitely a pair of clowns. A 270 is definitely a good size for a salt tank and you have tons of options for stocking! It's going to be fowlr not a reef, correct?

Actually, since you have a really big tank, you could get more than 2 clowns. It's awesome to see groups of them swimming around. If money isn't an issue, gold flake angels are awesome and one of my favorite fish. They are pretty expensive.

By my understanding, I want to do reef. I would like some corals in it. I really like the plant life, but I don't want to get too extravagant with the decor.

Ok because a harlequin tusk wrasse and many angels and dwarf angels are caution with reef. Harlequin tusk with a reef is a no no. The angels are prone to nipping at corals, but I have seen many who are just fine. Just be with caution when adding them to a reef or when adding coral.

I defiantly will. I'm going to take a few years and do research on everything I'm going to put in the tank. The jewel tang is definitely something I would love to get. I don't understand why they cost so much. I saw a few people who spent 1000 each, others 3000.

Back
Top Bottom