Stocking Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afilter

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, last weekend I upgraded from a 75g to a 90g with overflow and 30g sump/fuge (never had a sump before). I also moved out a couple of large tangs to prevent potential future issues and ensure my PBT has plenty of room. Honestly the tank looks great, but seems a little empty now even with all the rock. :wink:

So, I am considering an addition or two and wanted to get your thoughts. One reason I upgraded was for more room for current fish to grow, so I do not plan to go crazy.

Here is what I have:

Powder Blue Tang
Maroon clowns x2 (pair)
Coral Beauty
Mandarin dragonet
Lawnmower blenny
green chromis x2

I also have numerous inverts:
skunk cleaner shrimp
CBS
peppermint shrimp
rock flower anemome x3
emerald green crab x3
variety of sails
variety of hermits

Thoughts for additional fish:
1-3 green chromis (complete the school I had in 75g since they mostly hang out on top and do not add much to bio load)

and

1 other larger fish, thoughts include(only one of the following ideas):
Butterfly(Heni, copperband, racoon or long nose)
six line wrasse
Fox face Lo
firefish(regular or purple)
basslet of some type

I am fairly set on the chromis in a few weeks once I am confident all went well with the tank transfer and the sump/fuge is better established. As for the other fish, no rush if at all.

Oh, tank is currently FOWLR, but may consider trying some corals and an anenome for the clowns down the road when I can get the proper lighting.

Thoughts or other suggestions?

TIA,

With the addition of the chromis, I think you are stocked... I mean with a 90 gallon you just went up not out as far as surface area of the tank. Your volume is 120gal, but still the size of the tank and bioload max are probably close to a 75 gal. I know it seems like a great idea because you can cheat out of buying a new stand and canopy but it is not much better for the fish that swim back and forth like a PBT or the prospect of a heni.

Have you tried to add anything after your pbt? If you haven't I would be very careful as they can be very nasty to any newcomers. I had one and I couldn't add any fish no matter what size or shape without him freaking out and trying to kill it.

No, PBT was last fish. I have read they can be aggressive. No problems with current tank mates and it actually cohabitated well with the other two tangs in the 75gal.

I will most likely go with the chromis and leave it at that. I am purcahsing some new lighting and will probably get some more base rock. I will rearrange things a bit before I add anything.

As for swimming area I concur. I went with the 90g for price and size.

As for the butterflies I have read 50-70gal, but I do not want to crowd PBT. I don't plan to get any others right away. Possibly a six line done the road as they are fairly small and I really liked the one I had for awhile.

With more lighting I look forward to transitioning to some corals.

Back
Top Bottom