Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Stocking limits on fish, what about corals?

So of course stocking fish has its limits based on tank size, but what about corals? I don't have my fish yet, have been waiting patiently for my two black clowns to get in so I have been stocking corals.

I bought an anenome a few weeks ago and each week thereafter I have bought two corals for a total of 4. LOL

I test and have the store test before I make my purchase to make sure my water is still stable. So far no issues that a pwc couldn't fix. ( ro water now and no phosphates)

So bring me your knowledge, I'm quite hungry today.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

No fish in the tank yet? Done cycling? Are you adding a pinch of food for an ammonia source now and then? If there's nothing in there creating waste/ammonia, you should be.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep a pinch of fish food here and there. The anem leaves behind a nasty little mess after feeding so I figured that was helping too.

I also have 10 hermits and 10 snails.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The most basic rule to stocking corals is to give them plenty of room. Some might not have stingers like the galaxia coral but will expel slim that is like a poison to other corals. I have actually seen a ricordia try to get a mushroom, I thought it was the water current pushing it towards it and irritating the mushroom but when we turned to flow off it was still turning the mushroom. I would have never believed it unless I saw it with my own eyes. I noticed my ducans do better far away from any coral. SPS don't need as much room between them as most soft and LPS.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I've set up my rocks so that everyone has a bunch of room. Some I wnat to expand and cover certain rocks. The anem hasn't moved spots since I got him so I guess he will be staying where he is, hopefully he should be a non issue.

So spacing out my purchases is also a good idea? I kinda figured it was like fish, add some let it shake out and if all is ok continue on.

I also have to admit I don't know which corals are which really.LPS, SPS stony...... I'm really, really trying though. I pester the poor people at the fish store and on here constantly.

Thanks for the input guys, waiting for people to wake up and get online! I want a nice large information pool on this one since my main thing is corals and not fish.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

What size is your tank
Old 03-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It's only 29 so far. Looking to upgrade already lol
Old 03-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Biocube??
Old 03-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Nope a standard 29 tank. Running 30" quad t5's total 96 watts. Have 48 lbs of LR and 31 of live sand. No fish yet as i said before. Trying to get a feel for how much i really can put in there coral wise.

thanks
Old 03-07-2011, 01:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is a good idea to keep a distance of ~6" between LPS and softcorals. They put out feeler (stinger) tentacles that can reach out and sting other corals.

Tags
coral, corals, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com