Stocking list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cplawrence

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 29 gal has been going for about three weeks now. It has 40# of LR which was purchased cured. The tank never had a cycle so I added some snails and hermits which have been busily working away for the last couple of days. I want to give things a couple of weeks yet, but I am now looking toward adding fish. I am trying to resist temptations to do otherwise and keep the tank to about 3 of the following:
Percula Clown
Royal Gramma
Clown Goby
Yellow Watchman Goby
Tail Spot Blenny
Firefish

My questions are:
1) I intend to keep the tank topless. Are any of the fish mentioned above known for carpet surfing?
2) As all of these fish are considered peaceful (with the exception of the semi-agressive clown), would the stocking order be terribly important?

Thanks,
Chris

Need to cycle the tank first. The crabs and snails are goners I believe. See if you can get'm out and returned for the time being. Tell the LFS what happened. Maybe they'll help you.

You should read the article here about fishless cycling. Gonna take some time/couple weeks maybe, and water changing and stuff.

The firefish is a known surfer.
May have to drop a couple from your total list for a 29g too. Maybe. I really didn't do the math.

Good luck, but you missed a major step. The cleanup crew you have goes in after the cycle and as you begin to add fish.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I had the rock in the tank for a few weeks before adding the cleanup crew. I checked the levels every day or two and never saw any ammonia buildup. There is no ammonia in the tank now after the crew has been working for these past couple of days. I also only intended to get three of the fish listed. Thanks for the information on the firefish--that would make it three of the remaining five.

I have 2 mated percula clowns and a yellow watchman goby in my 29. I'm thinking about adding another fish but I think 3 is all a 29 can handle.

FWIW, my watchman has been in my topless tank for 2 years and I've never seen him above the bottom 5th of the tank. Ever. However, about a year and a half ago, I did have to fish him out of the overflow once. He has a pistol shrimp buddy too.

Cplawrence, I still don't think your tank cyled. Can you describe the process? Something has to die, create an ammonia spike, then a nitrite spike, and all return to zero for a cycle to be complete. Cured rock, sand (?), and hermits, and snails aren't gonna do that.

If your rock was completely cured when you put it in the tank, you might not see a cycle at all, or a very minor one. The LR already had all of the good bacteria on it that the cycle produces. If you have been feeding the tank regularly to maintain and feed that bacteria, you should be fine. I would put some food in the tank though and check the levels the next day. If you don't get any ammonia readings, you are good to go.

Personally, I like the Royal Gramma a lot and also like mated clown pairs. Those would be my choices for that tank.

Good Luck!!

tripper

I didn't see any advice in that thread except that since the rock had no die off, you didn't create any ammonia.

I guess no response is needed. You simply have not had a cycle I believe. The "cycle" also creates that bacteria that was referred to - as in someone told you to feed it. Maybe Tripper was on to something with the rock having sufficient good bacteria on it, but I'd still be concerned. Snail and hermits have been in for how long now? No Deaths?

Quite simply, if you had no ammmonia and nitrite spike, then your tank didn't cycle yet.

Good luck, but I think you're headed for a problem.

My 29 gallon has been set up for awhile now and I never had a cycle.......I started the tank with cured live rock and I believe that's why I never had a cycle. I did have barely measurable nitrates within the first week. So I believe if you have some nitrates the good bacteria came on your live rock and if the live rock was cured you won't have die off therefore you will never see elevated ammonia or nitrites, it just won't ever happen! I would go ahead and add your first fish.

If its been a few weeks, as suggested because its such a small system you probably didnt notice much of a spike.

I'd add
x2 Perc Clowns
Royal Gramma

Or

Perc Clown
Royal Gramma
Clown Goby

Dont forget your ornamental shrimps, fire, cleaner etc..

That list is really overstocked. I would consider the following:

2 percula clownfish
1 purple firefish

Anymore than 3 fish in a 29 gal might cause you some headaches. I think you could squeeze a pair of neon gobys in there if you must. They stay about tetra size and cling to the bottom/glass/rockwork.

I think it's only fair to provide clownfish with a mate. They seem to be much happier, my pair also host in my flower pot coral.

For me, fish are only one element of the enjoyment of the home aquarium. I really enjoy my sexxy shrimp,flame scallop(which has been alive almost 4 months and still going really strong) skunk cleaner, peppermint, nassarius snails, corals etc etc

I agree that all of those fish would be overstocked. That is why I said I was looking to do any three of those listed. What I was really looking for was information on any potential problems with the fish listed (for example, there was some indication that the firefish would likely jump out). Right now I am leaning toward the suggestion StripesTheEel made and going a pair of clowns and a royal gramma. Thanks for the help everyone.

Back
Top Bottom