Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-16-2006, 10:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Stocking list help

I am sure you guys get this question alot, but I could use the help as I do my research. I really want to make sure I do this right. My wife also wants a say since she says she has to look at the tank too. **** women...just kidding

I am doing a 180g FOWLR tank with about 350 lbs of lr and base rock. I will also have a big clean up crew that I will be getting from liveaquaria.com which includes star fish, crabs, snails, cucumbers and a few other goodies.

Here are the fish I am considering. Note that I do not plan on getting all of these. I am not crazy The one I want the most is the Volitan Red Lionfish. I am looking for advice for the others.

Powder Blue Tang
Kole Tang
Orange Shoulder Tang
Blue/Royal Tang
Bicolor Foxface
Flame Angel
Gray/Black Angel
Xanthurus Cream Angel
Yellow Stripe Maroon Clownfish

I am assuming that only one tang and angel will work in the tank, so I was thinking the lionfish, one angel, one tang, clownfish and the foxface...would that work. I want as many fish as possible, but abiding by the 1 adult inch per 3-5g rule and having as much different colors as possible.

Thanks in advance

P.S. Any fish that I didn't mention that people have a fondness of and recommend would be helpful as well. I've looked at a number of websites in compiling this list but I am sure I missed a few.

player676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:34 PM   #2
i am in the same process as you are right now. i am setting up an agressive tank including a sunset wrasse large angle and clown. i am very fond of lionfish as well, however they are aggressive and will eat anything that fits in their mouths including most of your clean up crew. to solve this problem i will be running a refugium and putting my clean up crew in that. this solves the problem of them getting eaten with out having to sacrafice on the fish.

grimes135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:38 PM   #3
I read on one of the fish list sites that that specific lionfish does not eat inverts. If they do, I will have to consider removing them from the list. I like the idea of having the crew crawling all over the tank. So now I have to reevaluate things. Probably makes the wife happy. She hates the lionfish. She likes fish looking fish...whatever that means.

Thanks for the help!
player676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
well I would (personally) want a yellow tang, and in a tank that big, I think you could do 2 diff. types of tangs if you introduce them symutaniously, and prob. two angels, and maybe some dasmels as well... and the marron is rather aggressive.....
Houston "Face Trials with Smiles"-Porter Ellett
My aquariums-5gall snowball shrimp, 20long-awaiting setup,29gall planted
"We are nothing until we make ourselves somthing"
blazeyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:16 PM   #5
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Powder Blue tangs are ick magnets. They will find a way to get ick if its there. It does not have to be your tank. Maybe even the LFS. I have a yellow stripe Maroon and they are a good addition in that size tank.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:40 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I love the Yellow Maroons!!!!!

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com