Stocking my 55 Gallon SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

batkitty

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I made the commitment to do a saltwater tank. Crazy or not, since it's been YEARS since I've had anything more than a 10 gallon FW setup or a betta. My uncle passed away3 years ago and this was his tank, so I'm doing this for me and as a memorial to him. We both loved fish!

Anyway, this is my first saltwater. (I have a 12 gallon FW too - pretty basic, not real pretty). I'm ordering my equipment in stages and hopefully will start my fishless cycle in two weeks.

My question is will this work for stocking over time. I would like to have:

Blue/Green Chromis (6)
2 Clownfish
1 Starfish
1 Coral Beauty Angelfish
and possiby some sort of shrimp if the others won't bother it.

Am I way off?

Thanks in advance.

That is a nice memorial to him.

The only thing I see as a problem is the star fish most don't do well in tanks. If you are doing a reef tank watch out for the coral beauty sometimes they like to nip at coral.

Thanks for the input! I am doing FOWLR so no reefs at this point. I spend too much time with my horses to try to keep up reefs too. :lol: I'm so excited, I've always wanted a saltwater so I'm going to give it a go.

batkitty is stocking a 55g. the 12g mention in the post is about her 12g FW tank.

a 55g is plenty of room for the three fishes. You can probably add another 2 or 3 fishes depending on their habits.

Thanks so much! I'm so paranoid about overstocking.

I'm glad to hear maybe I can add a few more later on.

The Coral Beauty shouldn't pick on the Chromis right, so long as I have enough Chromis to school?

And yes, the 12g is my FW, the 55g will be my SW. FW only has 2 guormis and a minnow (was supposed to be used to go fishing but didn't so he's in there too).

batkitty is stocking a 55g. the 12g mention in the post is about her 12g FW tank.

a 55g is plenty of room for the three fishes. You can probably add another 2 or 3 fishes depending on their habits.

?, I see 9 fish listed and tank is for sure maxed out.

Star fish probably doesn't need to be there. But blue chromis are quite pretty in a small group as you have listed. Instead of the coral beauty try a lyretail hawkfish...Very pretty and perches on the rocks.

?, I see 9 fish listed and tank is for sure maxed out.

Yes, a total of 9 fish listed. So I guess no starfish:(. That was more for my kids, but kind of cool. And I'm okay with 9 being the max. As long as I have enough room for the chromis to school back and forth. I love to watch that.

I will check out the lyretail hawkfish.

Back
Top Bottom