Stocking My Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReNNie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 Gallon tank with Live Rock. I also have 2 Percula Clowns,a Peppermint shrimp and 50 Nassarius snails. In the future I was thinking of getting a Yellow tang and a copperbanded butterflyfish. I am going to wait until I can keep my tank really stable for 3 or 4 months first though. My questions is will the bio-load or carry capacity be to much for my current size tank?? Any Post would be a help as I am fairly new to the hobby (2 years). I would also like to say hello to everyone in the forum and thank you in advance for you posts. Thanks alot Matt

Welcome to AA :D

I’d go with the Copperbanded Butterflyfish or the Yellow Tang but not both in a 55 gal tank. After either one you will be maxed out as far as fish go. Personally I think you would do better with the tang as they are hardy & enjoyable fish.

What are you using for biological filtration now? How much lr do you currently have?

I have 30 LBS of live rock (getting more, little at a time) and a fluval 304 with biomass and carbon once and a while. I also have a about 60 lbs of crushed coral. Really that sucks, only 3 fish haha awwww thanks alot by the way

ohh and thanks for the welcome. I also have another question. I do about 5 % water changes every week (is this good??) and all my levels are good. But for some reason it is hard to get a good reading for my ph with my current test kit ( hagen ) I find them really hard to get a good reading by comparing the paper to the test tube. Is there another test brand that I could try that you know of?? Thanks for all your help

The CBB can be very difficult to get to eat...that being said, if you can get them to eat frozen brine/mysis, they are an enjoyable fish to own. I was fortunate in my fish, it eats like a pig. The tang is a much less risky choice.

As far as it "sucks" to have 3 fish in a 55. I have a 55 with a lunarre wrasse and niger trigger as its only residents. Another 55 with only a pair of maroon clowns.
I believe it is much better for the fish to not stuff so many in the same box.

I like AP & Red Sea test personally but most say the salifert tests are the most reliable/easy to read. I only have the no3 & po4 tests from salifert and they are accurate IMO.

You could keep more fish but I wouldn’t recommend it. SW is harder to oxygenate than FW which is one of many reasons. I had 8 large cichlids in my brackish setup without any problems :( You can get lots of shrimp/small hermits/corals though :D That’s the main reason why I have my eye on the 120 gal reef ready system at my lfs. Now I only have to convince my wife that $2500 is something we “need to spend” in order to enjoy it. :roll:

As long as you keep your no3 below 10 ppm a 5% pwc weekly should be ok. I do 5 gal a week myself on the 55 gal.

Thanks for all the input will check out the test kits. I have that same battle with my wife haha, it always works out for the good though. Hara, I agree with you on not overstocking the tanks. And thanks for the info on the CBB I will think about it for awhile before I make up my mind.

Back
Top Bottom