Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alexselus

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I've got a 29 Gallon Biocube with roughly 45 lbs of live rock and a 5" sand bed. I was wondering if this livestock set up looks alright.

Cleanup Crew:

3 Scarlet Hermit crabs

3 Emerald Crabs

1 cleaner shrimp

5 Trochus snails

5 Nerite snails

5 Nassarius snails

1 or 2 Margarita snails

Fish:

1 Shrimp goby (either Tangaroa or Yoshina) with a pistol shrimp

1 Black & White Ocellaris Clownfish

1 Ocellaris Clownfish

Do you think i can add a jawfish or an Anthias?

I know jawfish need deeper sand, I can add that but I don't know how they would do with the goby/pistol shrimp combo.

The Anthias i'd like would be Highfin Perchlet or Geometric Pygmy Hawk.

Do you think I would be overstocked or see anywhere that needs attention?

Thanks for the input.

Anthias need to be in larger groups. Getting a properly sized group of anthias in that tank would put you way past overstocked. Not too sure on the jawfish, so someone else can give you advice on that. Other than that, you are fine.

I also would leave the anthias out on that size tank. They are very finicky eaters. Also too many emerald crabs for your tank. I would only go with one for a 29 gallon tank.

Thanks for the replies!

I wasn't too sure about the anthias, I read that they are good fish for jawfish but i wasnt too sure.

So this doesn't look overstocked at all? I'd rather be a little under stocked as this is my first SW.

Also, can anyone help with how deep I need my sand bed to be for the jawfish? I've read that they need everywhere from 3" - 7" minimum to 8" being the maximum, to as much as 12" maximum.

I figure since they get to be up to 4", it would be a 4" minimum, so with a 5" sand bed i should be ok? I can always add more sand too but more sand = less water volume = less stability.

I would go for 3-4" of sandbed and rubble 'cause they don't fully submerge into the hole,just enough for the body and the head sticking out.

Back
Top Bottom