Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-02-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you think that this is an ok stocking
5 green chromis
3 zebra barred goby
1 mandarin dragonet
1 centerpiece fish (unknown any ideas)
This is a 46 gallon bowfront reef with a 20 gallon sump/refugium..ideas for a decent sized centerpiece would be great too. I was thinking maybe a butterfly but I've heard they're a with caution reef fish which I don't think I'm even trying to take the risk.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If this is a new tank i would pass on the mandarin for a while, they really need an established tank to feed properly.

As for a centerpiece fish what about a wrasse of some kind or maybe an anthias?

Old 01-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya its fairly new but that's just a finished stocking list I've been adding extremely slowly.. Idk if you remember my other thread when I started my 20 gallon build but i ended up upgrading to my current tank.. I've added some copepods and amphipods a week ago to get their colony started so I'm thinking the madarin in late spring early summer and for the centerpiece fish I was originally gonna go with a wrasse but after putting some thought into it I want something rare and unusual which price isn't an issue on this fish..if I'm putting as much money into as I am I might as well go all out on this one.. I just want the shock and awe effect when someone sees my tank you know lol

Edit* ie I was thinking about a Japanese dragon eel if it wouldn't eat everything I would buy which they want around $700 for so like I said money isn't really an issue on this fish
Old 01-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Let me suggest a Chaulk Bass. I got one last week and it is a great fish! I also agree with carey, as usual, about a wrasse. In the order that brought me my Chalk Bass had a DOA 6 line. I've seen many other wrasses, but none are as striking as a 6 line IMO. Also, I'm not sure about the Chromis... I really wanted some but after researching and encouragement from others in the forum I moved away from the Chromis. When I upgrade my tank I'll be adding a small school of them though.

To give you an idea, I'm running a 36 gal bowfront. My stock is as follows:
Royal Gamma
Neon Goby
Yellow Watchman Goby
Chalk Bass
Coral Banded Shrimp
Emerald Crab
Sally Lightfoot
Anemone Crab
Old 01-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya I'm not a big fan of the anthias' or the six lines.. I like the 5 lines more or the pencil but to try and clarify I want my centerpiece fish to just jump out at you like "holy *@$? What is that?" Lol to give you an idea I've been lookin at frogs anglers or lions

Edit and ya the chromis are just there to school (didnt want a damsel school due to aggression which my chromis seem much more docile then my old yellow tail)
Old 01-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've re-read this a few times and I'm getting confused. If I am correct, you upgraded from a 20 gallon to a 46 bow. You are looking to add (10) fish into this tank. (5) Chromis, (3) darts, mandarin, and centerpiece...

Maybe everyone knows something that I don't. You mentioned the JD Eel, which needs a 100+ gallon tank and also looking at lions and anglers...

Without sounding silly, are you planning on a large upgrade?

I know some anglers would fit in that tank, but typically need a species only tank as they will eat anything they can catch basically. Lions, even dwarf, require at least (50) gallons which you could probably pull off with a very small bioload from other fish, but again they eat everything that's less than 1/2 their size.

I have five fish 3" or less in my 54 and I'm considered stocked. (10) in a 46 with one being large seems crazy. Again, I probably don't know the whole story, but I would like to help pick out a "wow" fish. I just want to make sure I know what size tank it'll be living in!

If you do go lion, my favorite is the antennata (sp).
Old 01-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I agree with TLTGF. An angler would eat everything else. Any wrasse added would compete for food with the mandarin. A lion would also eat everything. That school of fish wouldn't be much of a school for very long.
I think you've got to decide on which you want- a peaceful tank or a predator tank.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Those were just examples of the look I'm going for now I'm trying to find out what would fit into this scenario and I had a 20 gallon that was upgraded to a 46 about 6 weeks ago. I do understand the fish I mentioned exceed my tank requirements that's why I can't figure out what to get lol
Old 01-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just have a limited knowledge of some of the "miscelaneous/oddball" and rarer kinds of fish that really stand out
Old 01-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i would love to keep a wartskin angler

Tags
stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com