Stocking questions and compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tyspot1000

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello,

I am soon to aquire a 29 gallon bio-cube for my birthday (Yay!). Ive researched and know what I need, etc. Now Im stumped on stocking. Ive heard that SW stocking is different from FW stocking, so Thats why Ive made a list of what I want to stock with (Can be changed if needed :

Fish:
1 Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
1 Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris var.)
1 Firefish (Nemateleotris magnifica)
1 Neon Blue Goby (Elacatinus oceanops)
1 Banggai Cardinalfish (Pterapogon kauderni)

Inverts:
1 scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)
1 peppermint shrimp (Lysmata wurdemanni complex)
(Can you please suggest a clean up crew? It will be a reef tank)

Intermixing breeds of clown fish does not work well in general. Especially in a tank that small, they have no means of establishing their own territory. That is really to much bio load for a 29 gallon tank, your going to be pretty limited on what you can do.

snails are prob some of the best for a CUC

the stocking of a SW is indeed different then a FW and it all depends on the fish chosen, how active they are and their size, how much they eat and poop.

a friend of mine told me that he usually keeps a fish per 5 gallon but within reason. hes not goign to put a blue tang in a 29 gallon, they are much to big for that

He said Neon Blue Goby, they are very very small. That is a great fish, small bio load and easy to care for, you could put a couple of them in that tank. Right on with the snails, get a ton of turbo snails and blue leg hermits. They do a great job of cleaning my tank.

Intermixing breeds of clown fish does not work well in general. Especially in a tank that small, they have no means of establishing their own territory. That is really to much bio load for a 29 gallon tank, your going to be pretty limited on what you can do.

I wouldnt really be intermixing breeds. As you can see, I listed 1 Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish and 1 Ocellaris Clownfish. Same fish, different color morph. What do you suggest getting rid of then?

They are not the same though, different fish. It's not so much that it matters which one, but you just shouldn't add both in a tank together. Especially in a tank that small, just get a pair of one or the other.

Just take time and do your research. It takes time, I learned the hard way. Saltwater tanks are not race cars, slow and steady. Make sure you properly cycle the tank, and slowly introduce your livestock. Be diligent with it, and it will be a rewarding process. It's awesome watching a tank start from nothing and become an ecosystem.

Thanks! Ive done a lot of research lately and its helped a lot. Not saying im already an expert, but I know most of the basics. I still have a lot to learn though.

Everyone is always learning, I got into this a little over a year ago. I am constantly learning things I didn't know.

good choice! i have a 14 hgallon and wish id gotten the 29..anyway as for your stock list personally id ditch the peppermint and get two cleaner shrimp, i have 1 and he has the most personality out of my whole tank. ive heard firefish are quite timid so again my personal choice would be no but if you like it go for it. the cardinal is a suitable choice as well (im planning one as my next fish) ive been told they are happier in schools.

CUC:
nassirus snails(clean sandbed)
Nerite snails(very good glass and rock cleaners)
maybe some ceriths(mine kinda suck but they help)
blue leg hermits (eat detritus, fun to watch. have extra shells )
the cleaner shrimps will help alot as well

So more of this?:

1 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Firefish
1 Banggai Cardinal fish
1 neon goby

5 Super Tongan Nassarius Snail
5 Cerith Snail
10 Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab
1 cleaner shrimp

Back
Top Bottom