Stocking Red Sea Max 250

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jolee0722

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm considering getting the Red Sea max 250 in the future and I was wondering if it would be able to hold my dream collection. If it is overstocked, then could you tell me if it is only slightly overstocked or way overstocked. The list is as follows:
1 Firefish, orange
1 Firefish, purple
2 oscellaris clownfish
3 acares reef chromis
1 exquisite fairy wrasse
1 Midas blenny
1 multicolor dwarf angelfish
1 flame dwarf angelfish

Yeah I read that if you put a multicolor angelfish with another dwarf angelfish it should be a 55 gallon or larger tank so I think it will be okay. This came from liveaquaria.com

Can anyone else please comment I would like to hear multiple opinions so I can make a decision.

Your list looks fine to me (an unusual event) and the angels will fight a bit. No real problem if there is room to escape an attack.

Yeah. From what I've heard, you can prevent fighting if you make rock structures so that the Angels won't have to see each other all the time.

You should be fine if you don't want to grow sps and want to do a lot of water changes. 10-11 fish in a 34g tank is a lot. You will only have roughly 24-28 gallons of water after equipment, sand , and rock displacement. I would go with the firefish, clowns, and either the chromis or an angel and the Midas blennie. One angel makes probably as much waste as 3-4 chromis. I have the following in my biocube 29 and consider it heavily stocked.
-2x Clarkii clowns
-1x coral beauty angelfish
-1x 4 stripe damsel
-1x royal gramma basslet
-1x mandarin dragonette
-1x Randalls gobie
-I also had a lawnmower blennie who went after a piece of algae that stuck to my mini carpet and became lunch.

Just my 2 cents. Not saying you can't do all those fish, but don't plan on SPS and plan on a good amount of water changes. Also invest in a controllable powerhead like the koralia 2's or ecotech's to stir up all the extra waste

You should be fine if you don't want to grow sps and want to do a lot of water changes. 10-11 fish in a 34g tank is a lot. You will only have roughly 24-28 gallons of water after equipment, sand , and rock displacement. I would go with the firefish, clowns, and either the chromis or an angel and the Midas blennie. One angel makes probably as much waste as 3-4 chromis. I have the following in my biocube 29 and consider it heavily stocked.
-2x Clarkii clowns
-1x coral beauty angelfish
-1x 4 stripe damsel
-1x royal gramma basslet
-1x mandarin dragonette
-1x Randalls gobie
-I also had a lawnmower blennie who went after a piece of algae that stuck to my mini carpet and became lunch.

Just my 2 cents. Not saying you can't do all those fish, but don't plan on SPS and plan on a good amount of water changes. Also invest in a controllable powerhead like the koralia 2's or ecotech's to stir up all the extra waste

250 liters is 66 gallons

Yes it is a 66 gallon but for some reason whenever I use the actual measurements for the Red Sea max 250, it comes out to 90 gallons. But I think I will stick with the 66 gallons to be on the safe side. Also, I'm planning on having a fowlr tank for a year or so and slowly turning it into a reef tank and seeing how that goes. Also, do you think I have room for anymore fish or is this a lot already. Also, I plan to do weekly 25-30 percent water changes.

You're maxed out for the stocking of the tank. If you plan on turning it into a reef, from the start don't buy fish that are labeled not reef safe or "with caution". That's just my 2 sense. :)

Ok then i probably won't eat a reef. I was only considering because it would look cool, but I figured it might be too much work and the cost would end up going skyrocketing.

It's not that difficult. If you keep simple corals they don't need a lot of requirements. For example mushroom corals, they require low lighting and low flow, and that's it. What kind of lights does the 250 come with?

I think 4 t5's and 8 moonlights with alittle more than one watt per liter.

Also, I was wondering all the foods you would recommend feeding all these specific types of fish.

The mandarin will probably want live foods like pods unless he's trained to eat prepared foods and even that's not a guarantee of health.
Everything else will eat prepared food like mysis shrimp and other preparations. The herbivores will like spirulina flakes and sheets of nori seaweed.
If you want to make your own food, we have several threads that cover that.

Back
Top Bottom