Stocking Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maporsche

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had my first SW tank up and running for 2 months AC (after cycle). After my tank becomes better established I would like to add corals. As of yet I have not decided what kind of corals I would like to buy.

My current inhabitants are:
(1) Pink Spotted Watchman Goby - Cryptocentrus leptocephals
(1) Six Line Wrasse - Pseudocheilinus hexataenia
(1) Bicolor Pseudochromis (Dottyback) - Pseudochromis paccagnella
(2) True Percula Clownfish (Tank-Bred) - Amphiprion percula
(2) Emerald Mithrax Crab - Mithrax sculptus
(25) Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab - Clibanarius tricolor
(10) Nassarius Snail - Nassarius sp
(10) Turbo Snail - Turbo fluctuosa
(1) Brittle Sea Star - Ophiocoma scolopendrina
Chaetomorpha Algae - Chaetomorpha sp (in the refuge)

My current tank setup is:
120 gallon (60 long x 24 tall x 18 deep)
2 400w Metal Halide (10K bulbs) (6 hour lighting cycle)
30 gallon sump/refuge
Mag 18 closed loop pump
Mag 9.5 in sump
ASM G3 Protein Skimmer
45lbs Fiji Live rock

I do have a couple of questions for you experts:

1) How many more fish/inverts could I safely stock?
2) What is a good period of time to wait for the tank to establish before adding corals?
3) What types of corals will benefit from my tank? Or, what types of corals can I keep with my current setup?

I really appreciate this board and I cannot wait until I have enough information to begin to contribute as much info as I have gained here. You guys rock!

http://img386.imageshack.us/my.php?image=010306all120tankpicture0yv.jpg
010306all120tankpicture0yv.th.jpg

How many more fish/inverts could I safely stock?
You have room for some more fish. Maybe some swimmers like a tang or two or a school of blue/green chromis. As for inverts, you have a lot of room as they don ot really contribute to the bioload. Skunk cleaner shrimp or fire shrimp are nice. A pistol shrimp for your shrimp goby would work as well.
What is a good period of time to wait for the tank to establish before adding corals?
Let your water parameters dictate this. In general, a couuple of months is needed to make sure that your parameters are consistant and within normal limits. At this time start with some easy soft corals and LPS corals and see how it goes.
What types of corals will benefit from my tank? Or, what types of corals can I keep with my current setup?
Your lighting will allow you to keep a very nice variety of corals. Like I said, start with some softies like mushrooms, zoanthids and leathers. Place them low in the tank at first so they do not get "sun-burned".

I agree that the soft corals would be a good start. Muishrooms and yellow polyps are what I mostly suggest. Take a look at my gallery to see some good corals for a 125. You have better lighting than I do so there are some corals that you can get that I cant. Check out the mushrooms in my tank and there placement. Just a suggestion.

I also have a 120. Nice tank footprint. I'm running 250s over mine. Not sure what your long term plan is for corals, but I'd keep that in mind before you start stocking with softies. With the lighting you have you will well be able to keep SPS if you're so inclined. With that in mind I wouldn't invest too heavily in leathers, shrooms or zoos until you decide if you want a tank with predominantly softies, LPS, or SPS. There are some more forgiving SPS families (montiporas, for example) that will tolerate a lot. You could start off with some cap or digi if you want SPS. If you'd rather have an LPS dominated tank then you could start off with a frogspawn (midway to bottom).

I've got a yellow tang, purple, 2 cardinals, 3 chromis & 2 GSMs in my tank now. They've been together for quite some time now without any ill effects on water quality.

Back
Top Bottom