stocking suggestions for a 150g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mchief

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i currently have 20g. and 45g. setups so naturally i've been looking for something bigger. i stumbled upon a 150g. acrylic tank for $300, with stand, canopy and built-in sump. needless to say i'm quite excited. so now the fun part, what fish do i get?

i would like to have inverts, maybe corals eventually, but this could change.

i'm thinking i might like something funky looking like a longhorn cowfish, but i'd also like some of the standards like: blue tang, clown, gobies, blennies.

the only fish i'm planning to transfer are a neon goby, royal gramma and a blue damsel but these are not a priority.

You have a lot of options. First, decide what type of tank you want. If you are interested in a reef like you mentioned, you should limit your stocking list to fish that are reef safe. This will save you trouble in the long run. Clowns and tangs are a good pace to start. Other great options are basslets, some wrasses, firefish, gobies, ect.

hmm, small or large, aggressive or not... well i want a boxfish so i guess that dictates that i'll have to have a docile tank since i wouldn't want him to get defensive.

i think i'd like a range of fish, maybe 1 or 2 larger ones, a couple medium ones and several smaller ones to give the tank action and variety. i think it'd be cool to get something that schools as well, like several chromis.

Before thinking of fish I would be thinking about how your going to set it up.
How much LR, LS or play sand. Types if pumps needed. What type of Lights. Water are you using ro/di or tap.
That is a heck of a buy... I would be happy with that steal... have you water tested it yet ? Or did you see it up and running so you know it holds water?
Acrylic scratches easy so make sure you carfeul and get the acrylic cleaning magnets not the glass ones...
good luck.

I would do a couple large angels (added together), a couple different tangs (different body types ie sailfins and rounded), maybe a hawkfish, a school of something like chromis, and a few smaller fish.

seaham358 said:
Before thinking of fish I would be thinking about how your going to set it up.
How much LR, LS or play sand. Types if pumps needed. What type of Lights. Water are you using ro/di or tap.
That is a heck of a buy... I would be happy with that steal... have you water tested it yet ? Or did you see it up and running so you know it holds water?
Acrylic scratches easy so make sure you carfeul and get the acrylic cleaning magnets not the glass ones...
good luck.

i've already started to plan out the hardware portion and i'll be seeking advice on that eventually.

i'll be going w/ an aragonite base (not ls). i'll probably start w/ 100-150lbs of lr and as the amount of that increases, so will my fish stock.

before i pick the tank up i'll make sure to do a water test, thanks for reminding me.

saltydawgy - i think two angels and two tangs would form a good foundation. of course i'd start w/ probably three smaller ones (damsel, clown, chromis, etc.) until i'm sure of the tank's stability.

i like triggers and puffers but i don't think their attraction outweighs my desire for inverts and perhaps corals. what do you think, triggers + puffers < inverts + angels and tangs?

I love triggers as well but you certainly limit what you can put into your tank with those. I would opt for inverts, tangs and eventually corals. If you have plans of doing a reef down the road I would stay away from angels as well.

Back
Top Bottom