Stocking tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csoutherland

Aquarium Advice Activist
75 g reef
Started just a little over a month ago. Cycled and contains 1 tang and 1 arrow crab. I want to know the compatibility of the fish I am about to list off in the order of the ones I want most. And also how many fish would be safe in my tank.
1. Green mandarin goby
2. Snowflake eel
3. Juvenile blue ring angel
4. Wrasse (any kind)
5. Flame angel
6. Long nose hawk fish
7. Lionfish
8. Fox face

No need to tell me that putting the eel in the tank is a risk, I already know. Please only tell me if you know what fish will be compatible and how many fish I can have safely. Please only respond if you know what you are doing. Thank you!

Your arrow crab would be a meal to start with if not for the eels for the lion a lion also would eat mandarin and any other fish small enough to fit in its mouth. Eels are unlikely to eat fish apart from I'd be wary of the mandarin but once they have taste for fish they keep eating them. The amount of fish would come down to filtration personally you need to add slowly then you can work out what effect the fish have on the bioload. I have also heard horror stories of adding fish to a tank with a yellow tang as they are very territorial ( only know as debating getting one too but I'm leaving mine till last for that reason)

Also defo wouldn't put the blue ring angle in that tank too big and active. Yellow tang and lions would be pushing it too but may be possible just keep an eye on them

Tank is too young for a mandarin first off. The angel will get too large quickly for a 75g tank as well. And finally the lion may be ok depending on which one you are adding. What kind of tang is in the tank already?

75 g reef
Started just a little over a month ago. Cycled and contains 1 tang and 1 arrow crab. I want to know the compatibility of the fish I am about to list off in the order of the ones I want most. And also how many fish would be safe in my tank.
1. Green mandarin goby
2. Snowflake eel
3. Juvenile blue ring angel
4. Wrasse (any kind)
5. Flame angel
6. Long nose hawk fish
7. Lionfish
8. Fox face

No need to tell me that putting the eel in the tank is a risk, I already know. Please only tell me if you know what fish will be compatible and how many fish I can have safely. Please only respond if you know what you are doing. Thank you!

I wouldn't put the mandarin with the wrasse or lion. The wrasse will outcompete it for pods and the lion will eat it. The bluering angel is not reef safe as it will eat coral. It will also get way to big for that tank. I'd either stick to fish that will be peaceful or go with a semi aggressive reef. For a community reef I'd get the mandarin, foxface, flame angel and some other peaceful fish. For a semi aggressive I'd get the eel, wrasse, hawk, flame angel and a fuzzy dwarf lion.

They say the blue ring angel can do well in a 55 g. I have a yellow tang. How many fish do you think can comfortably fit in a 75 g?

They say the blue ring angel can do well in a 55 g. I have a yellow tang. How many fish do you think can comfortably fit in a 75 g?

Who says this? That is a large angel that gets to be a foot and swims a lot. Liveaquaria reccomends a 220 gallon tank for it. It all depends on the fish if you want the predator fish they have a much higher bioload and thus you would only be able to keep like 5-6 fish. If you go with smaller reef friendly fish you could probably fit 10-11 depending on filtration.

Ignore that liveaquaria is much better place to get a decent idea from

Absolutely agree that liveaquaria is the best to use for tank sizes. They tend to go larger than every other site, but larger can't harm a fish...smaller (or too small) will stress a fish and lead to health problems and/ or territorial issues. The fact that Petco thinks a fish that gets to be a Foot long is okay in an 18" wide tank is a good indicator of how bad their info is.

I agree with all that's been said. The Eel and/or Lion will dictate what you can put in. Take those out of the equation and you are not as limited. Absolutely no to the Blue Ring, but a dwarf or Pygmy Angel should be fine in a 75g. Larger Tangs are a No, but something like a Tomini or Kole would work.

They do not specialize in fish. Even places that do, often have tank size suggestions that experienced hobbyists know won't work. Again, bigger can't hurt. Smaller almost always will, it's just a matter of time.

Look in the Sick Fish section and see how many people have posts about their poor Tang that has Ich or HLLE that is in a smaller than 6' tank. Then try to find someone with the same issues that has the same fish, but in a 6' or larger tank. You will find dozens of "too small" issues, but rarely the opposite.

They'd probably justify that a 55 is for a juvenile but would need bigger as it grows or something like that

One thing I don't understand is why do sometimes the smallest of fish require the biggest tanks?

One thing I don't understand is why do sometimes the smallest of fish require the biggest tanks?

Some small fish like dwarf angels love to swim and thus require a long tank otherwise they show aggression much easier. Was there a specific fish you saw?

Things like tangs are used to swimming long distances per day and don't take well to not being able to do it also gives a lot of tank to graze in and things like mandarins are helped as bigger tank means more pods usually

Back
Top Bottom