Stoopid newbie question-Live rock... does it need to be fed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

20 20

Aquarium Advice Freak
Told ya it was, er, not a bright question. The rock has living things on/in it. (I assume, that's why it's called 'live'). What exactly is alive? Bacteria only, like your typical wet-dry filter? Other tiny 'creatures'? Do they just pull nutrients from the water, or do you need to 'feed' the live rock?

Oh, and I can take any snide comments you can throw at me regarding the intellegence, or lack there-of, of the question! :D

Its actually a very good question. Really it depends if its cured or not. Uncured LR should not need to be feed during the cycling process, plenty of die off to feed the bacteria. Uncured may need to be feed a bit, kinda depends on your ammonia spike.
I would not worry about "feeding" the tank durung the cycle too much. Unless you get no spike whatsoever.
LR is refering to the nitrifying bacteria contained within. Any "creatures" that come with it, are a bonus.

Another newbie question here then... what's the difference between cured and uncured?

There was a discussion in a earlier thread about there is probably no such thing as "cured" rock due to there always being some die off in transport. The difference is cured has been cycled, no spike in parameters. Uncured needs to be cycled before it is placed in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom