Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2003, 09:09 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Re: Stop me before I Kill! – Empty tank syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d

SeaChem:
Ph 8.0
Ammonia Free 0; Total .13 .25
Nitrite 25+
Nitrate 50

Aq. Pharm
Ph 8.0
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 5.0+
Nitrate 20
Sorta off topic but I see I'm not the only one that has seen significantly different readings using test kits from these 2 companies.

Old 03-12-2003, 09:28 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Sometimes it takes longer than a couple weeks to cycle. Depends if you used LR or not. I'd wait until the nitrites are on their way down before buying fish for the quarentine tank.

Old 03-13-2003, 10:57 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

REEFRUNNER: I assume you are talking about the clown trigger, dogface puffer and Queen Angel ( 12"), But can you explain to me why that setup can only maintain 3 fish? By my estimates, the rock will displace about 20 gal, Leaving 70 gal (35" 0f fish)... A wrasse is like 6", Flame 4", 2 Clowns 6-7" = 17/18" - It seems to me that there's another 17/18" available for fish.... I appreciate the response, and I don't want to overstock...but I thought my calculations were okay.

PS. I've decided against the Clown in lieu of a Picasso. I thought the dog faced puffer was okay with fish as small as a clown... should I be thinking of a smaller puffer?
Old 03-13-2003, 11:22 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
2 gal per inch is overcrowded. Shoot for 5 gal per inch. That would give you about 15" of adult fish length. A 90 is really no larger than a 75 for figuring a fish's territory. A better way would be to figure area rather than volume. Your experience in the hobby will be much better by keeping your bio load low. Less disease, less stress, easier maintenance.
I would skip the puffer unless you are going for a species or aggressive setup. My guess is the more aggressive a fish is (Picaso trigger for instance) the more territory he needs to get along with other fish. I don't keep an aggressive setup but I do have a species tank for a Porcupine Puffer. No compatibility issues if there is only one fish.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:01 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

This morning's readings are:
Am 0
Nitrite .5
Nitrate 10

Should I consider getting a small cleanup crew first?
This is a 125 FOwLR tank. Yea, it will probably be a reef tank in a year . How could it not be after chatting with all you here? 8O

So, what comes first?
Critter pack?
Clown?
3 Blue Green Chromis?

Tags
empty tank, syndrome, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com