Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-14-2004, 02:09 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
If its best, I should probably start getting everything together now, and wait to set it all up after we move; sounds like its going to take some time to get the necessary components.
Well yea, you could look for deals now since you have so much time, like in the buy/sell forum or ebay. But really if you are buying the heater/ skimmer/salt/sand/testkit new, you may as well wait till you get there. Why chance something breaking in transit? You could order all that online in a moments notice (at a big savings over lfs also). It will probably take time to figure out what hardware / type of setup you need though.

Old 06-14-2004, 02:15 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
The Saltwater Emporium down the street sells imported ocean water for your tank. Is that a preferred method of filling, or is it simple to just add the right salt to tap water?
Tap water is OK for a FO tank, that is about it. Many locations, mine included, have tap water laden with nitrates and other bad things that tap water conditioner will not remove. Try to find a source of RO water if you can, but tap will promote excess algae in any tank and should not be used in a reef.

Old 06-14-2004, 09:04 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

youronlysin,

One additional cost savings idea for you: consider a used set-up. A fair number of people leave the hobby for various reasons. Once the decision is made to depart, complete set-ups are often offered at 25-50 cents on the dollar, or less. So keep your eyes on newspapers (especially small local ones) and internet ads for great deals. It may take awhile to find something suitable, so while you research, watch. Just one example: I recently saw an entire 125 gallon reef ready set-up, with stand, sump, AquaC skimmer, powerheads, lights, heater, DSB, 200 pounds of LR (!) and fully stocked. Asking price: $750. That's less than the price of the LR alone. It was awesome. The guy was off to college. Unfortunately, I didn't have the space for a 125. Every 2-3 months I see a deal like the above. Good luck.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:08 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

youronlysin,

One additional cost savings idea for you: consider a used set-up. A fair number of people leave the hobby for various reasons. Once the decision is made to depart, complete set-ups are often offered at 25-50 cents on the dollar, or less. So keep your eyes on newspapers (especially small local ones) and internet ads for great deals. It may take awhile to find something suitable, so while you research, watch. Just one example: I recently saw an entire 125 gallon reef ready set-up, with stand, sump, AquaC skimmer, powerheads, lights, heater, DSB, 200 pounds of LR (!) and fully stocked. Asking price: $750. That's less than the price of the LR alone. It was awesome. The guy was off to college. Unfortunately, I didn't have the space for a 125. Every 2-3 months I see a deal like the above. Good luck.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:07 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So how do I start this thing? Do I add sand, rock and water and thats it? What about live sand? If the tank isn't cycled, how does it stay alive? I can get the rock and sand locally and fast as there is a saltwater specialty store three blocks from me. I only worry about starting the cycle process....I assume I can do this with the live rock and live sand without killing whatever critters are there? The shrimp idea sounds easy enough to start the cycle; think I'll do it that way. Do I need to fill the tank with water and get it up to temp before I add the sand and rock?

Just a question cause Im curious.... How do you put an Anemone in your tank anyway? Just pick it up and set it on a rock? Dontthey sting or something?

She left me before we met.
youronlysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 02:44 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Does the weight of LR vary so much store to store because of the amount of life on the rock? In the same town, I can find Fiji LR for 8 dollars a pound, and another store sells it for 4 dollars a pound. Just kind of makes me wonder what I'll be getting for lower prices.

She left me before we met.
youronlysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 02:45 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What we did was mix the water and salt in the tank, then added sand(live aragonite sand for us didnt cloud much), then we added the LR. We bought cured LR from the LFS and hardly had a cycle at all. We let it sit empty for about 5 weeks to be sure, while doing small weekly water changes to try and save as much life during the cycle as possible. One thing I would do differently is order LR online at much cheaper prices and let it all cure at once in the tank. If you add LR over time it may cause an ammonia spike each time you add more. JMO. The tiny critters that come out of the rock when its cured is so cool, my favorite part actually!
Old 06-29-2004, 09:26 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

LR does vary from place to place. When buying LR make sure it has good coraline algea coverage and looks nice. There are many LFS sellin "live Rock" that looks like regular rock. Also, The type of rock makes a difference. Fiji is usually lighter then say, Carribean or Florida rock, it is less dense. Honestly, if you are starting a new tank, you can get great LR from liverocks.com. Buy it all at once and throw it in your tank when you start your cycle. As for the innitial mix, it really does not matter. You can fill the tank with sand then add water, then salt to the desired SG. the ater will be murky for a few days but that is normal.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com