storing salt water question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bamboo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,
I was wondering if there is a shelf life (I guess you could call it) on the salt water I make for my water changes? I usually make the water a week before and adjust as needed but has anyone stored their salt water for longer periods of time? I use rubber made tubs to store the water in.
Thank you in advance for your help

I guess you could store it for a couple weeks with proper flow and temp going on.

If you store it, make sure it is in a somewhat sterile container and preferably light resistant. You should be able to keep it for a few weeks to a month. Just make sure nothing comes in contact with the water such as oganic matter that would change the composition.

When we use to mix our salt for H20 changes I made it in 20 gallon batches . We used distilled water and kept the jugs .(you can get dispenser jugs with a spigot on them in tinted colors ) I would mix it up then bottle it back up I kept it in our basement it is mostly dark and cool with the lids on it when I would need it I would pull 2 jugs and reairate it , we never had han issue doing it this way . I would store it for up to 2-3 months . If you are not sure you can place your water into cardboard boxes (we buy ours by the case, so you could reuse those boxes) You can really store it up to a year with out issues so long as it is in a dark area .(Think about how they sell the catalina water or nutri sea water )

I have kept it for a few months with no issues. I use a rubbermaid garbage can with a powerhead for flow. Temp is not a issue until you want to use it for a WC then it needs to be the same temp as tank.

seaham358 said:
I have kept it for a few months with no issues. I use a rubbermaid garbage can with a powerhead for flow. Temp is not a issue until you want to use it for a WC then it needs to be the same temp as tank.
Just be sure to recheck your spg to make sure that you did not have evap to make it too high :D

When I tried storing saltwater for more than a week, even with agressive flow, the water just got a nasty film on it that would ruin my entire batch of water. I use tao water also, so maybe that's why. :)

Sadielynn said:
seaham358 said:
Just be sure to recheck your spg to make sure that you did not have evap to make it too high :D
That goes without saying.. I always bring up to temp and check SG before it hits the tank.

If it's been sitting for more than a couple weeks, you might also want to check alkalinity. I've found that mine drops a bit each week as it sits. Nothing that a little buffer (or just the alkalinity part of a 2-part Ca additive) won't fix.

I've kept water in my tub for a couple months with no ill effects. Just keep it dark and clean. Like others have said, don't put anything in it (mixing spoons, measuring cups, hands, etc) that isn't clean, or you'll likely get some organics in it that could muck it up.

Back
Top Bottom