Storing water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spaz0177

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I buy my water in five gallon jugs at LFS. How long can I store it?

I'm sure the water from your lfs is relatively cheap but with a 120 gal tank you will be making a lot of trips.

Ebay sells RO/DI filters for around $100.

Plus a lot of lfs don't change their filters often enough to eliminate pollutants anyways and often they don't use DI (which really makes the water pure) and only RO.

I agree with Micah, get an RO/DI filter from Ebay, you will be glad you did. As for storage I use a 32g trash. My RO/DI water runs directly into it, I kee a heater in there to keep the water temp close to that of the tank so that when I mix my SW I don't have to heat it as much. HTH

I use a 32 gal trash can also :D My mag 9.5 both mixes and heats the water to a perfect 79 degrees without having to use a heater. When it's time to do a pwc I just hook up the hose and pump away.

I only use the 32to hold the RO/DI water. I pump that into a 30g tote and mix my SW there. I like the idea of the pump keeping the water temp right. How long does it take to get your water to that temp. Mine comes out of the unit at about 56 and I like to get it to at least 75 while it is FW. when I mix SW I take it on up to 78 before it goes into the tank.

Mine is around 50-55 this time of year and the mag takes about 6 hours to get it to that temp mixing 25 gal. During the summer it only takes about 2-3 but still with that pump it's a perfect 79-80 without getting any hotter anytime of the year.

I just lucked out because I've always used the trashcan and used to use a heater & powerhead but got tired of scooping out the water with a 2 quart pitcher.

I ran the pump one night without the heater going and woke up the next morning to 79 degree water. I also tested running the pump for 4 days and it never got any hotter.

I have 20 ft of hose to work with and a 4ft head so I'm getting around 600 GPH out of it by the time it gets to the tank. I slow that down slightly but overall it only takes me 10-15 minutes to do a 15 gal pwc.

I use a 15 ft ON/OFF extension cord to turn the pump on/off which works really well.

I agree with the rest. I used to lug the water up a 5 foot ladder to create a siphon. One day, I was in HD and saw water pupms and said, "DUH...water pump to PUMP the water." LOL!
Also take into account, you can buy a 160 gal bucket of salt, for $31.99, see how that may add up to lugging water from your LFS to your house.

I totally agree!!!! We fish guys are silly. We have pumps running all over the place and ye it takes us a while to figure out that we can pump our RO/DI out and into a container and then pump SW out and into the tank..go figure!!! LOL Silly guys!!

I agree also. For years I lugged water in 5 gallon jugs from the LFS to my home. Then a light bulb came on that said why dont you get a RO/DI unit. know I can say that I am free at last, free at last.

What about us idiots that have our tanks up on the third floor of our house in the "movie room" as my kid calls it. LOL. I intend on putting in a RO/DI but that would go in the basement and I will still have to lug water up three flights or stairs. Any ideas as to how to cut down on the trips? I will have to mix it all downstairs and lug it up. I have never mixed my own SW either. This should be fun!!

DO the salt bags explain pretty well how much to add to each gallon?

Thanks for the help all. Always nice to see I can get the help I need here. Good day all

Yes there are instructions on the bag or bucket of salt mix explaining how much to add per gallon of water.....wow 3 floors up that's a heck of a hike with water!

If I would have found this site before I started my tank, I can darn well tell you I would have put it downstairs. LOL

I have learned more on AA then anything the people at the LFS have informed me of. I used to just listen to what they say and take it as though it came from god. Expensive lessons that is for sure.

Now I come here and check things out before going to the LFS.

Good dy all

Back
Top Bottom