Storms expected today-question on power outtage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RTV

Aquarium Advice Regular
We are expecting severe weather today and I'd like to be prepared in the event of a power outtage. I have a small emergency power source that should run a couple of small appliances for a few hours....the question is what do I run? Obviously not the lights but, I have a 125gallon tank with 4 powerheads, 2 hob skimmers and a fluval cannister filter....its mostly the circulation I want to maintain right? so, run a couple of ph's ? Or the filter and one ph?

any suggestions from the group?

I would run a powerhead and the filter. Depending on the temp of the room, you may also need to run the heater as well. Where are you located?

I'm in Alabama. Temp shouldn't be a problem but, I'll keep an eye on it... hopefully it won't be an issue but, I just want to have a plan .... I sure don't want to loose any critters because I wasn't ready.

I think you are getting what we just got..I was without power from midnight to 7 am. I would agree with the filter and a powerhead.

You will be purprised just how well fish can survive in less-then-ideal conditions or a short period of time. Keep us posted and good luck!

I also agree with the power head and filter. Lighting is not really that important for the short term.

CAUTION, CAUTION...hyjacker aproaching...
I think you are getting what we just got..I was without power from midnight to 7 am.
Everything doing okay Lisa?

storms came through my area like a lamb....no lights out this time. Thanks for the advice....I'll be ready next time there is a threat!

UPS (uninterrupted power supply) or battery back ups for Home PC's may be of usefullness down the road. ( since the storm has come and gone already)
They varry in size and amnt of battery back up life you get out of them.
They may only have 3 or 4 plugs that are on the battey side, the others are just normal outlets, so you may need 2 of them depending on how many items you need on the battery back up side vs just being on a surge protector.
Not sure how long they will be good for time wise. it will depend on how big of a battery back up you get and how much juice the items take that you plug into it.

Back
Top Bottom