Strange readings? Help! =)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RLG2182

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well... after throwing in that LR.com rock, and doing some testing, my Amm is at 0, Trite is at trace (at most... not even .25). What's getting me confused is the fact that 4 days ago, Nitrate was at around 30 ppm. A couple days ago, it was around 20. Now, they are at 10 (this last test with the current 0/trace readings).

Is it normal for Nitrates to go down? :? I didn't do any water changes, other than normal top-off with fresh water (cuz salt doesn't evaporate) to make sure that my sump pump didn't dry up. I moved the overflow boxes in the tank up a bit so that you couldn't see the water line, so I had to add about 2 gal of newly mixed saltwater. Other than that, didn't do anything different. Is my cycle 98% done now?

It's been since 4-22-05 that it was started with shrimp, sand & base rock.

If the new rock pieces are large enough they will provide an anaerobic condition for denitrification to occur. I would think that it would take some time for the beneficial bacteria to establish itself though.

So what should I do when the trite goes down to 100% zero? I'm guessing it'll be sometime tomorrow. Does that mean my cycle is done?

Large water change & ready to go? :? If so, how large? 20%?

Once the ammonia and nitrite have spiked and returned to zero you are complete. The water change at the end of the cycle is to reduce nitrates and replenish some trace elements. Many people suggest a large water change. I would say if the nitrates are not high then a 10-15% change will do fine. Good luck

Also, I believe you would get an artificially high false reading if you're testing for nitrates and your nitrites are still high. So now that your trites have dropped so will your trate readings. I'm at the same exact stage as you. It's been reading somewhere between .25 and zero for the last 3 days.

I'll add in a few snails & a few hermits for sure... but will that be enough to keep the ammonia levels going?

I'd add in a fish or two... just need to find a good place to get them from. LFS store has small perc clowns for $8 each. Might be worth a look :mrgreen:

The clean up crew doesn't produce significant bio load. If you add them and only them you'll need to continue to feed the tank. I would go ahead and add a fish (or 2 if you're going to get small percs). LR.com rock is amazing stuff packed with plenty of bio bearing capability. It doesn't surprise me at all that it drew your cycle to a quick end.

I agree with reese, and ran into the same thing. During my current nitrite spike im getting crazy nitrate readings. Once things zero out, then check it. :D

I'm excited... after work I'm going to pick up my two clowns & a few hermits/snails!!! :D
Going to try the drip method. Although I don't have a QT tank. Is there anyway to set one up FAST with a 10 gal? I haven't had the foresight to throw in filter media into my sump to generate bio. I can get the cheapy filter & tank no problem & make up some water (or take some from the main tank)... or should I just add in the clowns w/o QT (one time only thing)

Back
Top Bottom