strange worm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fierro Nights

Aquarium Advice Freak
i had just finished splitting some starburst polyps and i moved a piece of rock work in my tank when this worm flew out between my fingers and hid near another rock.

its almost 1 1/2 inches long, about 2-3/8ths of an inch wide. orange and grey w/ silky shiny fuzz all over it.

what is it, is it bad, how do i kill it?

seriously, i dont like finding these surprises in my tank WHEN MY HANDS ARE IN THE WATER !

Does it look like this?

bristleworm2.jpg

yes, it did look like that, but i didnt care if its good, it looks gross, so i got my meat flavor injector w/ the needle and poked it, it went into a tiny hole so i injected water in the hole where it popped out of another hole and then back in and out a different hole like it was teasing me. so i stuck in the needle and sucked w/ the syringe and after alot of force a piece of meat went through the needle and into the syringe , after doing this a few times i was able to push more water in the hole and push it out, spear it then dispose of it.

this is what it looks like now.

img_898747_0_ae40f2e01072323d0de86836618e0370.jpg

having an aquarium is nice. i look at mine alot during the day, seems like there is always something to do to it, but i have seen some pretty strange things spawn in the tank. when i buy corals, they come attached to a piece of rock, how can i get bugs out of the rock before placing in my tank? i have a rock which has 3 unidentified crabs in it and its from a coral rock and this worm, i dont know where it came from, maybe the new live rock a few days ago. does bleach hurt corals? should i just cut corals off the rocks and place them in the tank, then bake the rock @ 400 degrees for an hour before i place it in my tank? all i want is my corals and the fish that i buy, i dont want the dusters, the extra crabs, or anything that i have not researched prior to placing in the tank.

---------------- Now playing: Chapter 1 via FoxyTunes
i had just finished splitting some starburst polyps and i moved a piece of rock work in my tank when this worm flew out between my fingers and hid near another rock.

its almost 1 1/2 inches long, about 2-3/8ths of an inch wide. orange and grey w/ silky shiny fuzz all over it.

what is it, is it bad, how do i kill it?

seriously, i dont like finding these surprises in my tank WHEN MY HANDS ARE IN THE WATER !

You think that bad try finding THIS in your rock!!!!....LOL There is a lot of crazy things out there.....

Those Chitons are awesome. Didn't someone on here just discover one as a hiker?

Fiero- I feel your pain, I've discovered a couple of bristleworms recently that are small right now, but I can't tell which kind they are:-? Made aquascaping a little more exciting...waiting to see what was going to jump out and bite...LOL:D

Folks, most of the hitchhikers that come with LR and coral frags are BENEFICIAL to the clean up crew of the tank a/o become live food for the fish. You really need to identify them as harmful before killing them. It's part of have a natural reef in our homes. At least that's what I strive for.

I love my pistol shrimp though I have no idea where it came from. There are many organisms that came on a shipment of LR or in a detrivore kit I bought just to increase the biodiversity in my tank. It's all good stuff to have.

i just done like the fact that one of these days, something is going to sting me or wake up one day to find my glass covered in worms and seeing things eating through the skin of my fish, now i have to check, double check and tipple check my hands when i take them out of the water looking for something that may have jumped on me.

its like a roach, you find one, yea it might clean up the crumbs on the floor, but if you let it go, soon you will see them everywhere.

I heard they are good for awhile but if they get to big they can be bad.... I read it somewhere in this site.....

does anyone recognize this?

its about the size of the end of a round pen cap, my camera is too poor quality to take picture.

it looks kind of like this, a mix between a feather duster/flower but cut sections more like a flower more then a bunch of feathers and it has anenome looking things around it.

img_898886_0_2fc77ac72f1b3d43a5d4c00797b61990.jpg

sadly no, but i do have some of those hairy crabs, and there not emeralds, i have 3 on one of my corals, they poke out of the rock now and then.

the thing looks alot like some type of anenome but its not aptasia for sure. it looks allot like a tiny red buttercup flower w/ tentacles on the outside.

and those crabs, ive been searching for them in the past, can i just let them be? that site said they are not good, i think the worst they could do is get my starfish who btw is recovering very well from its injury.

Hairy crabs are probably best suited in a sump/fuge. Most crabs are opportunistic feeders and can go after inverts and fish.
Check button polyps for your drawing.

Back
Top Bottom