Strartied new tank. Need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lakersfreak

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gal tank, 1 clownfish, and about 10 lbs. of live rock.

I tested water yesterday and everything seems fine.

I started tank about 3 weeks ago and I want to but more stuff, particularly cleaners, like snails and crabs.

Is my tank ready????

I'd get your self some more live rock to start. About 1 1/2 to 2 lbs per gallon. Next just keep watching your water perameters. It may be okay to go ahead and add snails and crabs. Just keep a close eye on your water.

Have you even checked ammonia and nitrites to assure a cycle ever even took place yet?

Where'd you get the rock from? Cured or uncured?

Have you even checked ammonia and nitrites to assure a cycle ever even took place yet?

Ack!!! Sorry I jumped ahead.....Going on little sleep....Maybe I'll just read the forums and not butt my nose in today....

Sorry,
lakersfreak!!!

First things first...has your tank completely cycled? Can you post current NH3, NO2 and NO3 readings?

dont have the reading right now cause I am at work but I remember when I took the test every # was where it is supposed to be according to the testing kit I got.

You need soem more live rock. I don't think you need 40lbs but I would say 20-25lbs would be better for bio-load. And you should get that all in there first cause every time you add rock your tank is going to go thru another cycle. May not be as bad as the initial cycle but there will still be die off.

SO get a little more LR in there, let it cycle again and let things settle down. Get a light cycle going and some algae growing and then add a clean up crew.

Back
Top Bottom