Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

streching tentacles in Hammer and frogspawn?

Hi

My new frag of hammer seem to have a few stretching tentacles swaying around. Is this normal? My new frag of Frogspawn also. Is it not enough light?
Also one of the tentacles seem to be on verge of breaking , the middle part has shrunken. Will it grow back?

I got him yesterday,, I am using 48 watts of T5 light in a 20 gallon high. As I have read to slowly increase light. The plan was to increase it over the next 3 to 5 days to 96 watt. Currently using icecap 10,000k and ATI aquablue special.

Right Now Cal is 440
DKh is 9

Nitrate is less then 10.

thanks

Old 07-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It sounds like it is just normal behaviour , and also adjusting to your tank ,,, Keep a close eye on the "broken" one as they will grow back but this could be an invitation for brown jelly disease ...
I really think you can bring the light up to the full 96 watts now ... What were their lights like where they were ?

10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #3

Hi

I am starting to think is normal as I can see it getting bigger and most are swaying. It seems the piece broke off and is floating around the tank.

yes, i will read up on brown jelly disease, the guy had it on 150 mh (solana tank 32 gallon ) and he suggested i accumulate it with 48 watts for 2 days..and then move it on to 68 watts then to 96 watts. And then find a middle or higher ,lowel level to see it if which one they open the widest.

Just checking if I'm doing it right way.

thanks
Old 07-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mine are at the bottom of the 10 with 80 watts light PC
The others are in the BC8 with stock lighting , placemnet bottom and mid . Both have good expansion as well as more developing heads .. Moving it around will likely stress it ...
Old 07-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Maybe they're trying to kill each other??? Are the very close to each other? In my experience, hammers are quite aggressive, even towards other Euphyllia LPS. My hammer extends it's tentacles trying to kill an Aiptasia anemone.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:24 AM   #6

How does one know they are fighting. I have them a little closer to each other becasue I plan to set up a area for open brain and some Florida Rics.

So far when they stretch they do touch each other. Any signs of knowing they are fighting?

I do notice both would stretch there tentacles and touch each other and stick together and sway together, is that fighting?

thanks
Old 07-12-2010, 10:16 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep that is a fourm of fighting ... the sweepers are notably longer than the rest the also can appear to be a bit thinner as well .. sweepers can range from 6-10 inches long (sometimes longer )
Old 07-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

If the tentacles are noticeably longer and slightly more transparent than the rest as Sadielynn mentioned, the corals are within close proximity of each other, and they are reaching towards each other, it makes it seem like they are fighting. Maybe if you could snap a quick pic it might help clear things up.

To me it seems like they are fighting, especially if pieces are detaching and floating around; usually means they're dying. I have a relatively large hammer coral and it killed a frogspawn about 10" above it, some SPS frags around it, and is now going for an Aiptasia anemone. I really don't mind it killing the latter of the bunch.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hmm.. I just got a nice hammer coral frag yesterday. This makes me rethink having one if they really are that aggressive >.<
Old 07-12-2010, 02:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, I don't have any experience with the branching kind, I do have the kind that grows like a mat. I'm not trying to discourage you all from keeping them, my hammer is pretty large around 9-10" at the base. Just keep them away from other coral and it's all good.

This is mine when I first got it at the LFS. I think it was about 5-6".

Tags
chi, frog, frogs, frogspawn, hammer, tentacles

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com