Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407092754.100583.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	245488
I'm letting it foam then liquify then dumping it. I guess it's foaming slightly slower but still no where near where it needs to be.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

I have that same skimmer. Have you tried adjusting the it so it doesnt overflow or is that already at it's lowest setting? If you can get the bubbles to stop just below the rim of the inner cylinder the impurities will still go into the cup.

If it is already at its lowest setting, and the aloe is floating on top of the tank try taking a dry paper towel and laying it on top of the water to soak up as much as possible. Remove the towel when it gets wet and you should be taking a good bit of the aloe with it. repeat as needed.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:08 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you for the advice, At the lowest setting bubbles build up all the way to the top of collection cup. I believe I'm having a harder time then most due to the amount I put in (I was informed you can not over dose on stress coat so I didn't use it too sparingly) I first attempted to remove the aloe with a 20% followed by a 30% change the next week. Did not improve the bubbling. The next attempt I let skimmer run and just scooped up bubbles and let them settle and got about a half bucket of clear bubbly skimate. There was still no improvement. I'm going to try the same thing again but on larger scale. Next water change I'm going to try to empty at least 5 gallons straight from skimmer. I'll also give paper towels a shot. I have a feeling this rookie mistake is going to take some time to fix.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:02 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
Have you tried cleaning your skimmer that might help

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 08-07-2014, 09:09 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ya I actually soaked it in some hot water and vinegar for a day. I really think I would have solved problem with what I've been told to do on here but it's just a lot of aloe in the water. I appreciate all the advice and I thinking trying these ideas with regular water changes will solve problem over time. I'll keep posted and for sure post when I have my skimmer running haha.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:41 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
You might try running some activated charcoal if you can fit it in your system.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 08-08-2014, 03:38 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

use fluval water conditioner or something alo does nothing for fish
Old 08-08-2014, 12:11 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ya I used to use stress coat in my freshwater tank and really didn't know it wasn't something that is used in saltwater tanks. I'll take it as a blessing in disguise, it's really making me exercise my patience.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:08 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Alright so I'm curious if any one would know best approach to completely changing water in my tank. I could set up another tank to house fish. Would I have to wait out another cycle period if I completely changed the water. I really just want this stress coat out and I'm switching to ro di water anyway. Any information or ideas to approaching this plan would really help.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:24 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

My eshopps skimmer did that, and I didn't even have aloe in the tank. Just put it on it's lowest setting and let it run. After awhile, it'll break in and stop doing that.

3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skimmer, stress, stress coat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com