Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-30-2003, 12:39 PM   #1

Stresscoat making skimmer nuts

I just added a fish to my tank and put some Stresscoat in, which is causing my skimmer to foam excessively. What would you suggest?

I understand it's the aloe vera that causes it...I guess it's in Stresscoat to replicate lost slime due to stress.

Also, is there something I could use in the future to help fish acclimate without making skimmer go nuts?
Old 08-30-2003, 01:40 PM   #2
steve-s

There are a few products available on the market that do not contain aloe. The one I prefer is Seachem's Prime. Others should hopefully chime in with their preferences as well.

You have a skimmer on your QT?

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-30-2003, 02:53 PM   #3

No, it's a hang-on skimmer on my display tank...I don't have a quarantine tank.

After emptying the cup several times, it seems back to normal...hopefully if I leave the house I won't come home to a flood!
Old 08-30-2003, 03:24 PM   #4

I used Stress Coat until I bought a skimmer worth having, and then quickly stopped when I got the washing machine effect. Suds everywhere

I also have since gone to RO water and ditched the De-Chlorinators all together. Skimmer is fine now...
Old 04-06-2004, 03:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Recycling an old thread......

I did a search on "Stress Coat" and found only a few threads (including this one) that had any info. I bought some when I was first getting all my supplies for my FOWLR aquarium ready 'cause it seemed like a good product. I wanted to put some in with my change out water but is it even worth it if I'm using DI? I don't have a skimmer set up yet so I won't have a bubbling problem. Will it benefit my Damsels at all?

Thanks in advance,
Derek
Old 04-06-2004, 03:29 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

p.s.
I'm not using Damsels to cycle my tank, I'm using them 'cause they are hardy. We'll keep these for a while just to make sure we can keep stuff alive
Old 04-06-2004, 05:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

if you continue with the stress coat, my suggestion would be to just simply turn off the skimmer for an hour or two.

Tags
skimmer, stress, stresscoat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com