Stressed Clown fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dreamin_reefer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys,
I bought two Ocellaris Clown fish earlier today. I drip acclimated them for over two hours. While the lights are on the fish are playful and act normal. But when the lights are turned off they seem to be over stressed, lay on their sides on the sandbed and almost have this sort of twitching when the face each other. All Ph is 8.2, nitrites and ammonia are 0 and nitrates are 2. Any responses are appreciated!

Thanks,
Devin

Sounds like they are just bedding down for the night. As far as the twitching goes, that could be normal as well. Does it look like they are communicating with each other? It seems to be a way of showing dominance or submissiveness. That will determine the sex of the fish w/ the female being the more dominant.

If they're acting normal under the lights, I wouldn't worry about it. They're probably just trying to figure out the new routine. Do you have the ability to drop out the white lights, while leaving the actinics on? If so, you might try that as it might make a more gradual transition.

Wouldn't worry about the twitching either. My single clown does it occassionally. Kind of looks like some weird frame-at-a-time video? I think it's "normal" clown behavior.

hey guys, thx for the responses. The new additions are acting normal again and made it through the night without problems. i guess they were just getting used to the new enviornment... I cant leave just the acentics on with the light fixture that i have... and yes they do seem to be communicating with each other as the twitching occures...

thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom