Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Stripped Legged Hermit Crabs

Ok so I have these hermits that I pulled straight out of the ocean at Corpus Christi. I can't seem to find anything definite on these things (e.g.- There are mor than 1 name for them, Lamens AND Scientific) so I'm curious if ANYONE knows anything about these things! I've heard them dubbed as "fish killers" and I believe it they are Definitely carnivores but they eat fruits and veggies too but they go CRAZY for meat! but like, how often should I feed them? I heard 3 small portions a day but I'm not certain. And how do I clean them? DO I clean them??

-On an off note, I have .6 lbs of LR in the tank... Do I clean that? And if so, How?

-- Thanks in advance for all respones and advice!

-Brett

Old 10-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
I can't tell you what kind they are but almost all crabs can be a problem if they get large. If they get bigger then about the size of quarter i would start keeping and eye on them around your small fish. Most of the time hermits will just get the food they need from the left overs of feeding your fish.

The only cleaning you really need to do for your live rock is siphoning it off a bit when you do water changes.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sweet! yeah I know that now I went to True Percula in arlington Tx yesterday and got some more stuff for my tank! I will be posting before and after pictures a soon as I get it completely ready. but I've heard they will not get bigger than 3 inches and they are already about that big.

Tags
crab, crabs, egg, hermit, hermit crab, hermit crabs, ripped

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com