Stupid question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Steve silbernagel said:
What is acclimation period when ordering fish online

I'm not sure I understand your question but whenever you buy a fish regardless of online or at an LFS you will have to acclimate it to the water in your tank before you put him in. You don't want to just dump a new fish into your tank because there could be adverse effects. There are different methods for acclimation most people seem to prefer the drip method. I typically float the container the fish comes in in the tank & add a tablespoon of the tank water to the container about every 15 minutes or so for an hour or more. Additionally if you purchase online you want to open the package in very dim lighting or the dark because the fish has been in the dark for shipping. Hope that answers your question.

Also don't pour the water in take the fish out with your net. You don't want to put their water in your tank!

I got two shipments of fish this week (freshwater) and for the group of bristlenose plecos I drip acclimated, for the angelfish I had my boyfriend drain out the water and plop them in the tank (I was at work, so he had to do it.) I only did the plop and drop because that is how the shipper recommended acclimating and they had been slightly delayed in shipping and I wanted them in fresh water ASAP. Both groups are happy and healthy.

Alyxx said:
I got two shipments of fish this week (freshwater) and for the group of bristlenose plecos I drip acclimated, for the angelfish I had my boyfriend drain out the water and plop them in the tank (I was at work, so he had to do it.) I only did the plop and drop because that is how the shipper recommended acclimating and they had been slightly delayed in shipping and I wanted them in fresh water ASAP. Both groups are happy and healthy.

I wouldn't recommend buying fish from them agIn. Any business that recommends dumping fish into a tank after shipping isn't likely to handle the fish they sell with much care. Even if the shipping is long there are better ways of acclimating than just plop and drop (especially saltwater fish.. I used to do careful ammonia acclimation using muriatic acid for stressed fish after shipping).

Back
Top Bottom