Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Stupid question

What is acclimation period when ordering fish online

Old 07-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve silbernagel
What is acclimation period when ordering fish online
I'm not sure I understand your question but whenever you buy a fish regardless of online or at an LFS you will have to acclimate it to the water in your tank before you put him in. You don't want to just dump a new fish into your tank because there could be adverse effects. There are different methods for acclimation most people seem to prefer the drip method. I typically float the container the fish comes in in the tank & add a tablespoon of the tank water to the container about every 15 minutes or so for an hour or more. Additionally if you purchase online you want to open the package in very dim lighting or the dark because the fish has been in the dark for shipping. Hope that answers your question.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oops I just poured them in. Now I know I got a clown yesterday and a pj cardinal today
Old 07-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

But yes u answered my question thx a million bc I can start doin it like that now
Old 07-20-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also don't pour the water in take the fish out with your net. You don't want to put their water in your tank!
Old 07-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
I got two shipments of fish this week (freshwater) and for the group of bristlenose plecos I drip acclimated, for the angelfish I had my boyfriend drain out the water and plop them in the tank (I was at work, so he had to do it.) I only did the plop and drop because that is how the shipper recommended acclimating and they had been slightly delayed in shipping and I wanted them in fresh water ASAP. Both groups are happy and healthy.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyxx
I got two shipments of fish this week (freshwater) and for the group of bristlenose plecos I drip acclimated, for the angelfish I had my boyfriend drain out the water and plop them in the tank (I was at work, so he had to do it.) I only did the plop and drop because that is how the shipper recommended acclimating and they had been slightly delayed in shipping and I wanted them in fresh water ASAP. Both groups are happy and healthy.
I wouldn't recommend buying fish from them agIn. Any business that recommends dumping fish into a tank after shipping isn't likely to handle the fish they sell with much care. Even if the shipping is long there are better ways of acclimating than just plop and drop (especially saltwater fish.. I used to do careful ammonia acclimation using muriatic acid for stressed fish after shipping).

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com