Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-17-2005, 11:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Stylophora/cat's paw experience needed

My cat's paw is turning a darker purple in color. What could be causing this. I know it is growing because polyps are starting to grow around places that were broken during collection and shipment. Only thing I can think of is increased lighting intensity. Would that cause it? I want my original color back.

Old 12-17-2005, 11:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Picture? If it is just getting a deeper purple it may be gaining its original color back!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 11:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I will work on a pic. When I got it a while back it was light pink/white with some darker pink areas. Now it is much darker. I do see definite grow. Only thing that has changed is went from 14k mogul MH to 14k HQI pendants also added 500W of MH and 200w of antic.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

well that is a considerable amount of light more. not that it probably looks that much different it may have all the difference in the world. I know I just added more light on my tank and everything has picked up speed, it has been quite dramatic. BTW sweet car in your avatar. That isn't your 355 is it?
Old 12-18-2005, 01:47 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

500 watts is a lot but you have to remember it is spread over a 525gal tank. From what I read on the coral more light will brighten color. The car in the avatar is mine but it is a NSX.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:45 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I didn't look very closely, I thought it was odd that the front lights weren't quite right and the bumber was too high for a 355. Sweet car anyway, I don't know much about NSX's but I know that most F1 racers prefer them so they have to be something special. I'm a ferrari fan myself, I once owned a 308 GTB. I miss it but I don't miss the gas price for a car that gets 8 mpg.

yeah lighting isn't that much more per gallon but it might just be were it counts. The better coverage might be responsible. It could also be settling in. It took a pink leather that I have months to finally start growing and looking good.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just bought a styol this week. Nice pink color. I was told that 10 WPG was optimal for them. They said that less would not kill them but may make them turn brown in color.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com