Substrate & Jawfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pipermurphy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am upping my setup from a 65 reef to a 180 reef. Two of the fish I currently have are a yellowhead and a blue spotted jawfish. I have read that people don't lke CC as a substrate, but I have about 2" of it onto of a 4" sand bed in my 65 with no problems, what should I use as a substarte in my 180 to keep the jaws happy?

I would use sand. On my tank I used regular araganite sand and bought some LS from my LFS to seed it. The sand will be better for the jawfish IMO.

pipermurphy said:
Yeah but can they still buil those nice burrows with sand? Won't it collapse?
Correct.
It's recommended to have a substrate with a variety from sand grain size to large pebble size for jawfish to make their natural burrow structures.

Have no fear tho if you only have sand.
They will still make burrows under and inbetween your rocks with no problem.

Only problem I've found with jawfish is that it's sometimes necessary to target feed them, which if they burrow behind your rockwork where you can't see them is darn near impossible.

I agree, you can use sand. You could also get away with some CC, I believe they will hunt it and carry it over to build.....

Back
Top Bottom